Our mobile network is evolving.

Options

Comments

• Stephen G. #32755
    Stephen G. #32755 Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Options

Boy, oh boy. I sure hope they aren't going by the Fizz "number". Nicolas H is 848, I'm 32755. I'm not sure what my wife's "number" is but she joined Fizz a number of months after I did. If they are going "numerically" we are in for a long wait for VOLTE. We don't have time for a long wait since we need USA voice/text within the next five to six weeks. Crossing fingers.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭
    Options

He joined the community in November 2018, as an early adopter.

• Ivaylo_Code_W6WLS
    Ivaylo_Code_W6WLS Posts: 390 ✭✭
    Options

That's amazing news!

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Options

@ivaylo404

If you have a VoLTE compatible phone, you probably already have VoLTE. Check it out and you will see.

• Stephen G. #32755
    Options

I'm thinking that is not the case. My wife has a newly purchased (from FIZZ) Pixel 7 along with a new SIM card. Her VOLTE is not enabled.

I have a Samsung S10e, which is VOLTE certified on Videotron, but NOT on FIZZ for some reason. How it can be certified on Videotron, and every other network I've checked, but not on FIZZ is beyond my understanding. Maybe it's still coming - I hope.

Neither of us have VOLTE activated nor have we received an email telling us it is happening soon. Wish us luck.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,109 admin
    Options

Hi Stephen ! If your SIM card was VoLTE ready (⚡️ sign on it) and activated after march 16th 2022, your phone number should be already on our new VoLTE voice switch and your Pixel 7 should be able to register on the IMS services for voice and SMS. Is it updated (and the carrier settings) with the latest software version ?

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 5,729 ✭✭
    Options

How many old users here got volte? I joined fizz in 2021 and I don't even have the option on my phone settings. My phone seems to not be in the list of compatible device, while I know for certain that it has the ability to get volte...

• Stephen G. #32755
    Options

Whizz,

Thanks for your response.

My new VOLTE SIM card (with the lightning bolt) was activated within the last two months, sometime in February I believe. I have been a FIZZ customer since July 2020 but only got the new SIM card and activated it around February 2023. The phone is Samsung S10e, which is VOLTE certified on Videotron but not on FIZZ apparently. There is NO VOLTE option to activate on the "Mobile Networks" page of settings of the Samsung S10e. When I look at SIM card status it shows LTE under both Mobile voice network type and Mobile data network type. The phone is "Not registered" under IMS registration status (which I understand it would be registered if VOLTE were working). My phone is fully up-to-date with software downloads. It is running Android 12 with the Samsung One UI Version 4.1. The service provider software version is

SAOMC_SM-970W_OYV_BMC_12_0007 BMC/BMC/XAC

Looking at phone info using the VoLTE Check app the VoLTE provisioned option is OFF and greyed out, not able to change anything. As that is the case I have no reason to believe VOLTE is enabled and I have not received any communication from FIZZ that says VOLTE is active or available for my phone.

My wife's Pixel 7 phone is newly purchased from FIZZ along with the new lightning bolt SIM card. Her phone shows a VOLTE option but it is greyed out. When we try to make a phone call the call does not use LTE but drops to 3G. Her new phone does not appear to be VOLTE activated with the VOLTE option greyed out. I can check further settings once her phone is available to me

How would one go about updating carrier settings? Or the Service Provider software version? Shouldn't these be updated automatically? If not, how do we do it.

We need to have at least one, but preferably both, of these phones VOLTE activated by early May in order to make/receive calls and especially texts in the USA.

If you have any good suggestions please let me know. Do you think I should be contacting FIZZ via Chat to see what can be done to get us both connected to VOLTE? I've got about four to five weeks left to get this done.

• Stephen G. #32755
    Options

I forgot to mention when I make a call the settings for both Mobile Voice Network type and Mobile Data Network type switch from LTE to UMTS when I look at SIM card status. The network for both switch from LTE to UMTS (3G). I definitely do not have VOLTE even though I have the new SIM card active. Somebody at FIZZ needs to flick a switch (or something).

• Whizz
    edited April 2023
    Options

For your Samsung S10e, we don't have any available date to soon certify this device with Fizz carrier settings so it may explain why the VoLTE toggle is not available. You should still be able to text using the LTE regular network even from the US (SMS can use both standard LTE or IMS technologies). And since your activation was done in 2020 it used the regular 3G voice system, we will migrate your phone number soon too. Migrations are in a controlled and progressive ramp up process.

For the Pixel 7, the carrier settings update should be automated (from your Network&Internet/SIM screen) as long as the Android version is up to date. Sometimes there is an "Update profile" button too in the Carrier settings menu. But if the phone line was originally activated before march 16th (even if you swapped the new SIM provided with the new phone), the phone number would still be on the 3G service, and we will migrate it soon.

• ah727
    Options

@FizzyFizz JQMPM

Only one so far,. Nicolas H. 848. Joined Fizz in 2018.

I joined April 2019, purchased a LTE Sim card in April 2022, and still waiting, no VoLTE yet.

• shawnie
    shawnie Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options

Awesome news. Any idea as to 5G?

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,450 ✭✭
    Options

No idea sorry

• Stephen G. #32755
    Options

I could be totally wrong here but seeing as FIZZ is a "discount" carrier I can't imagine 5G coming anytime soon.

• Ivaylo_Code_W6WLS
    Ivaylo_Code_W6WLS Posts: 390 ✭✭
    Options

@ah727 ok I'll check

• Abdell
    Abdell Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Options

@Whizz

Hi, how comes I do not have VOLTE, activation Aug 2022, Galaxy A53 5G, New volte sim, fully updated March 2023...

• Jess_i88b6
    Options

Did you check if you have a VoLTE options and if it is enable?

1. Go to Settings and select Connections.
    2. Select Mobile networks.
    3. Select VoLTE calls and turn it on.

• SkyHigh88
    SkyHigh88 Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Options

I'm already having issues with Fizz as the customer support been saying different things about the sim and Volte ready phone. One told me that my phone is not supported, another said it is. I purchased my phone from Fizz to make sure that it works properly. Also, someone told me i just have to wait and that my sim card is already volte ready but then was told after that I need to order a new sim even though my sim card have the red lighting bolt ⚡️ symbol. I'm just really confuse at this point. I just hope they don't mess up my account afterwards.

• Jess_i88b6
    Options

@SkyHigh88

If you activated the plan before Mars 16, 2022, you should wait, Fizz is sending out the email notifying the migration. An user that activated the plan in fev 2019, received the notification.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

If you became fizz members after 2022 march 16, you probably don't have volte yet. You have to wait for fizz to activate the service for you. It is probably being done in waves. You will receive a notification by email

• Abdell
    Abdell Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Options
  • Stephen G. #32755
    Options

At least your phone is now VoLTE enabled now. Further than both my wife and I are.

Curious - type of phone and when joined FIZZ?

• ah727
    Options

@Abdell

You should have access to VoLTE calls. Check with Fizz support.

• Whizz
    Options

Hello Abdell,

Thank you for being part of the Fizz community.

I just verified your account. Currently you weren't migrated to VoLTE, and this is the reason the calls/ texts will work in 3G at the moment. Rest assured that you will be moved to LTE as soon as possible.
    You will be informed via email once it is done.

Also, make sure your phone is in our certified VoLTE phones list: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices
    I am counting on your understanding and I wish you a great day,

-Georgian

• ah727
    Options

Good news, got an important message today.

Migration announcement to LTE voice calls within 2 days.

Waiting for instructions.

Joined April 2019, it's my turn.

I'll keep you in touch.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

That's great for you... I joined in 2021 so it's still a long way for me

• AK20230110
    AK20230110 Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the info. Have a nice day

• Easygolucky
    Easygolucky Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Options

Never knew about this before!! I am not eligible but maybe once my plan is up I’ll try to get something like this

• ah727
    Options

Migration to VoLTE completed!

I had purchased my new LTE SIM card last April 2022 in a Couche tard store, and activated it at that time on my Samsung A52 5G phone. Hadn't changed anything, no VoLTE. Shortly after, I updated my Android version. Then a VoLTE toggle on/off setting showed up in my Mobile Network screen. Even after switching VoLTE ON didn't give me access to VoLTE.

Yesterday, I got an email message ( see prior post) announcing my phone would migrate to VoLTE shortly.

My phone was closed during the night.

This morning I got a message saying the migration was completed, and asking me to turn on my VoLTE toggle switch ON. It was already on since nearly a year.

Did my testing:

- disabled Wifi, LTE showed up in the top status screen (as has always done)

- called my voicemail box, LTE stayed ON (unlike before where 4G showed up). This confirms VoLTE is active.

No I need to do calls to confirm calls quality.

Real glad the waiting is over!

• Derr
    Options

Happy for you!

• Stephen G. #32755
    Options

Happy for you. I sure hope my wife and I get the same message and migration soon. No calls or texts in the US is a pain in the posterior.

• ah727
    edited April 2023
    Options

Quite a few people are reporting VoLTE migration. See the French post on the same subject. Funny, most if not all, have the Canada + USA plan. Maybe just a coincidence, as Fizz users travelling to the USA really need VoLTE and will be watching for migration to VoLTE.

• Easygolucky
    Options

Thank you for sharing!

• Stephen G. #32755
    Options

Can you please direct me to the French post? I'd love to review it

• Stephen G. #32755
    Options

Well I'm hoping they activate VoLTE for all Canada/USA plan members. I just switched both myself and my wife back to Canada/USA for the beginning of May in anticipation of our USA trip - May/June. Hopefully we will have not only data but also phone and text.

• Derr
    Options
  • limeisong
    limeisong Posts: 382 ✭✭
    Options

it does not work for my iphone

• alexdilem
    alexdilem Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Options

Do you even have the red lighting bolt (VoLTE logo) on your Sim card ? Or maybe your iPhone is too old.

• Easygolucky
    Options

Oh good question

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

Happy for you! We all are waiting for the same thing!

• Derr
    Options

Maybe not ''all'' ;-)

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options
  • Derr
    Options

I meant that some already have it! :-p