• A17
    A17 Posts: 8,137 ✭✭
    Options

If it works with Videotron, it should also work with Fizz

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 807 ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Agree. Vidéotron VoLTE SIM CARD works fine in LG K61 phone and in a Fizz Samsung A52 phone. But doesn't work both ways.

My wife has a LG K61 with Vidéotron. It works fine VoLTE. But if I put my Samsung A52 5G Fizz VoLTE SIM card in her Videotron LG phone, no VoLTE!

Fizz VoLTE card works fine in a Samsung A52 but not in LG K61

• Gheorghi O.
    Gheorghi O. Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

Hello Fizz people!

Currently, I'm outside of Canada. Could you please tell me if it is still possible to use the old SIM till March?

Thank you in advance!

• ah727
    edited October 2023
    Options

If you are in the USA, and provided you have a Canada + USA plan or travel add-ons, you can still use your old Sim card (not VoLTE ready) for data connections. But probably you won't be able to make or receive phone calls. However Data availability will allow you to communicate through social media networks such as Messenger, Google Meet, Zoom, and others.

• Concordia P. #16663
    Options

Just finished updating our 2 phones to the new sim cards..

quick and easy ..

• Easygolucky
    Easygolucky Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Options
  • FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 6,054 ✭✭
    Options

Hey Fizz! When are you going to add more phone to the list of volte certified devices?

• A17
    A17 Posts: 8,137 ✭✭
    Options
  • Gabriel_Sidloi
    Options
    > @Jess_i88b6 said:
    > Did you check if you have a VoLTE options and if it is enable?
    > Go to Settings and select Connections.
    > Select Mobile networks.
    > Select VoLTE calls and turn it on.

I don't have that option. I have this exact phone
  • Kyle C. #853
    Kyle C. #853 Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Options

I have no proof of this, but my assumption is that Fizz will only add new phones when they start selling them. Next version of iPhone, next version of Galaxy, next version of Pixel etc. I don't see them adding older devices or current devices thata they don't sell to the list.

• Easygolucky
    Easygolucky Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Options
  • theselkie
    theselkie Posts: 2
    Options
    Next up hopefully eSIM :P
  • Alexsolo
    Alexsolo Posts: 708 ✭✭
    Options

When will Wi-Fi calling be a feature?

Sometimes whilst on VoLTE, my calls randomly drop, or I will have to call someone back 2-3 times before it actually goes through.

My GF does not have VoLTE, is in the same room, and it works perfectly, on Fizz.

• Kyle C. #853
    Kyle C. #853 Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Options

My mom's calls seem to drop after 5 minutes, even though she has full bars. She doesn't have VOLTE yet though.

• ah727
    Options

No VoLTE, that's probably a reason your phone calls are dropping. You have limited access to mobile phone networks without VoLTE.

2 things you can do to improve your phone calling experience:

1: preferred networks: select WCDMA/GSM only. Return to 4G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM after your call if you want to use data on your mobile networks

If that doesn't improve,

2. Do a network search, and choose FizzExt. See if your calls work better with FizzExt

Good luck!

• BlueGiant_L57D2
    BlueGiant_L57D2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭
    Options

Where are 5G, Wifi calls and eSIM ? 🙏

• Poitpoit
    Poitpoit Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options
    If I buy a Fizz SIM card at Couche-tard is it compatible with VoLTE?
  • ah727
    edited January 15
    Options

Fizz Sim cards purchased in Couche Tard stores should be VoLTE compliant. These Sim cards have a small red lightning bolt on it.

In order to be able to make VoLTE calls, you need the Fizz VoLTE Sim card, and a VoLTE compatible cellphone with Fizz network. Fizz has certified recent models for iPhone, Samsung, Motorola, and TCL phones.

• Poposlick
    Poposlick Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Options

Again, thanks for VoLTE and upgrading for free!

• tokki
    tokki Posts: 10
    Options
    Oh nice, thank you!
  • Kovid
    Kovid Posts: 588 ✭✭
    Options

VoLTE is not good news for me.

I do not have strong signal where I live. I ordered and activated the VoLTE SIM but calls keep dropping because of the weak LTE signal in my area. Now I have to subscribe to a second provider with WIFI calling and forward the Fizz calls to the new number.

• Maya22
    Maya22 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Options

Yes I don't know why they not offering wifi calling. It's good for us and them to have it.

• Melz90210
    Melz90210 Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options
    How can I tell if I have the VoLTE sim
  • ah727
    Options

Pull your Sim Card out, and look to see if it has a small red lightning bolt on it.

Normally, if you subscribed to Fizz AFTER march 2022, you should have been installed using a VoLTE sim.card.

But even if you do have the VoLTE Sim card, your phone needs to be VoLTE supported by Fizz. Fizz has issued a list of approved VoLTE phones.

• ah727
    edited February 7
    Options

If you don't have an iPhone (won't allow), download Network Cell info Lite. You will see what frequency bands you can reach. Recent cellphones can connect to a broader range of frequency bands. And you can also try FizzExt and see if you can get better connections.

Lower frequency bands (700MHz) are usually better for in house phone calls.

• Kovid
    Kovid Posts: 588 ✭✭
    Options

I bought the Galaxy S23 Ultra from Fizz last year, so it is not a device issue. Before, I was using the Galaxy A52 5G (also bought from fizz), it was the same issue with weak LTE signal at my place. You understand that if your calls go through the LTE network and the LTE signal is weak, it will result in dropped calls. I have been with Fizz for 5 years, so I am giving them a bit of time to see if they will make the WIFI calling available. Otherwise, I will have to pull the plug. Because of telework, I have been spending a lot of time at home since the onset of the Covid19 pandemic. The phone has to work where you spend most of your time.

• FLeB
    FLeB Posts: 2
    Options
    Had to get new phone for this but I can't say I'm mad about it!
  • ah727
    edited February 8
    Options

@Kovid

"Before, I was using the Galaxy A52 5G (also bought from fizz), it was the same issue with weak LTE signal at my place."

I had dropping calls before VoLTE. I have a A52 5G bought from Fizz same as you. Dropping calls is no longer an issue since VoLTE was activated on my A52 5G summer of 2023.

In my area, before VoLTE, calls went through Fizz frequency 3G band #4 (1700/2100Mhz) horrible for indoor calls. The only option then was FizzExt band #5 850Mhz with no issues. 2G only bands were also an option. You can test your calling performance by switching to 2G only, or 2G/3G only,

Even if you change provider, doesn't guarantee you will get better service. But if you do, Bell 4G band #5 850Mhz may improve your calls. But Fizz uses band #12 700Mhz (if available in your area) very good for calls, even in basements.

I assume you have already checked LTE logo in top of screen during calls.

And agree, WiFi calls will definitely help if mobile calls don't work.

Good luck.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

I have a VoLTE sim card, but unfortunately my phone hasn't been certified (and will probably never will) even though it is compatible

• ah727
    edited February 10
    Options

@FizzyFizz JQMPM

@FizzyFizz JQMPM

I find call quality has improved greatly with VoLTE. However, as long as you stay in Canada, you can still make calls using 3G networks. But if you cross the border to the USA, you will have to rely on 2G networks, and that may not be reliable.

Incidentally, I just tried T-Mobile 2G network for calls in SouthFlorida, and calls still work.

• Kolanget
    Kolanget Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Options
    Same..... that sucks
  • FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

Thank you for the info... I'm gonna keep that in mind if I find myself in the US... I will be forced to change phone anytime soon even if the phone itself is flawless. I'm quite annoyed with that

• Ride S.
    Ride S. Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Options

volt is nice

• DilanDavis
    DilanDavis Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Been thinking about all this VoLTE and new SIM card jazz... Seems like the mobile world is changing right before our eyes! Had my own bit of trouble with device compatibility – my trusty old phone just wouldn’t play nice with VoLTE, so I had to consider an upgrade. And yeah, someone mentioned Wi-Fi calling and eSIMs. Great idea, if you ask me! Especially for someone like me who lives in places where the LTE signal is as elusive as a snow leopard – you hear rumors, but never see it in person. 😄 Anyway, let's keep moving forward with the innovations, hoping the carriers keep up too. And it's awesome we have a place to share our experiences and learn something new. See ya around on the forum! Wishing everyone clear signals!

P.S. If anyone’s got the lowdown on setting up eSIM, share the wisdom, will ya?
  • Mickael C. #39939
    Mickael C. #39939 Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

That is so nice!!

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

Your considerations are correct. Unfortunately some features have been out there for a while already but Fizz is hesitating to introduce them. I think they don't have enough workforce/capabilities to develop all the features you mentioned. It would be nice to add some older phones to the volte certified device list

• pyuriko
    pyuriko Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Options

Wonderful!!!

• Gramart
    Gramart Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the VoLTE introduction, Fizz!

• propea
    propea Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Options

Really good news!! So happy to be with FIZZ

• Mark123_2024
    Mark123_2024 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for sharing all these information.