Our mobile network is evolving.

Comments

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 4,531 ✭✭

Thank you for the update!

In the next months is a bit vague as an answer.

It seems we have no choice, we have to wait.

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,355 ✭✭

Yes exactly

• Chickencoop
    Chickencoop Posts: 60 ✭✭

I may sound stupid, I am sorry, but how do you get Volte?

• Derr

@Chickencoop you need to have a VoLTE ready phone (which is likely) and a sim card that support VoLTE which is the case if you are a Fizz member after march 16th of 2022

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭

@Chickencoop

Since you joined Fizz BEFORE March 16, 2022, your still have to wait until Fizz grants you VoLTE access. It should be sometime this spring, hopefully as soon as possible.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM

@Chickencoop Also if your phone is compatible with volte you have to order the volte sim card from fizz portal... They are gonna send it to you for free!!

• BenLandel
    BenLandel Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

Something weird happened to me last week. I was in Vegas two weeks ago and had to call someone in Quebec. I had 3.90$ in my wallet, I made the call and it worked as intended.

Then the next day I tried to call again someone else in Quebec and an automated message told me that my plan did not allowed me to complete the call and to buy an Add-on... I still had 2.80 in the wallet.

I also made calls from Florida to Quebec last December and it worked perfectly...

I would say the service is unreliable for now...

• Derr

Indeed this is weird... I have no idea why, maybe @Whizz can help you?

• BenLandel
    edited March 2023

Not complaining, just sharing the situation I went through. There are so many disclaimers by Fizz that the service in USA is so-so, I did not escalated this with CS. I just asked my co-worker for is mobile and made the call.

• Derr

Yeah but still… would be nice to know why…

• BenLandel

Just had a chat with CS. They cannot tell me why and since I'm back in Quebec, there is no way to investigate my issue. A co-worker on Fizz that was with me was able to receive call but not make them. Sms worked for both of us though.

• Derr

All right, thanks for the feedback!

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
  • uzedia
    uzedia Posts: 1,185 ✭✭

I am currently in West Palm Beach where I can connect to the T-Mobile network most of the time but sometimes I get suddenly disconnected with message that T-Mobile is not available and it will take a while to be reconnected, despite several network refreshes, airplane mode and restarts. All the down to Florida, from New York to Georgia, I couldn't connect to T-Mobile, only to A&T. So it's a bit of a hit and miss.

• Derr

Thanks for your feedback @uzedia

• ah727

@uzedia

From the information available, you should have access to VoLTE since you joined Fizz after March 16 2022. Phone calls should have been available using provider AT&T, and maybe also with T-Mobile. So, when one of the 2 major providers are in reach, you should be OK.

However for users prior to March 16, 2022, calls with T-Mobile between New York and West Palm Beach won't be available if T-Mobile can't be reached. Good to know.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Derr

It’s getting complicated!!

• ah727
    edited March 2023

@Derr

Yes it is. You never know what you are going to be dealing with! Fortunately, uredia has access to VoLTE.

• Vasiok
    Vasiok Posts: 1,337 ✭✭

@ah727 unfortunately, but not everyone that joined fizz after march 16 had VoLTE. There are still problems with that.

• BenLandel
    edited March 2023

@uzedia

In West Palm Beach/Delray/Riviera last December/January I was on the AT&T network and it worked perfectly for 3 weeks. Not once did I notice being on T-Mobile... It seems to be really hit-and-miss...

• Derr

Yeah seems so…

• ah727
    edited March 2023

@uzedia , @BenLandel

Thanks for your feedback, as I couldn't be in Florida this year.

My son was in Boston last weekend, and no trouble with phone calls with T-Mobile. He is with Fizz since 2019 and calls were 2G. He is a phone service technician.

I checked mobile network transmission towers in the United States yesterday. Very hard to find users with recent 2G connections with Fizz between New York and Florida. However many mobile connections to T-Mobile last week south of Orlando. 2G transmission towers I saw were located along Florida Turnpike.

2G signal can be transmitted many miles, sometimes over 50 miles. Due to Florida being mostly flat lands, these 2G can easily reach coastal areas like West Palm Beach, Pompano, or Fort Lauderdale.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM

Yeah that's true! Imagine what will happen when they decide to release volte for everyone... It will be a mess 😅

• uzedia

After my post yesterday, I haven't been able connect to T-Mobile again, only to AT&T but I cannot make calls with them, just data. This is absolutely weird and not very reassuring.

• kokoboko
    kokoboko Posts: 324 ✭✭

try to restart phone and select manually TM. switch network type to 2G for voice calls too. GL

• SittingRam
    SittingRam Posts: 320 ✭✭

Wise move! As a discount company they have to stay relevant as the competition adopts more agressive pricing.

good long term strategy

• fizznet
    fizznet Posts: 6 ✭✭

Here is what I got from support:

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

My colleagues from tech team verified the ticket which was created related to the issue which you have encountered and they found out that your account wasn't migrated yet to LTE.

We started the migration procedure and our clients are migrated on batches, my colleagues are working to do this procedure as soon as possible, however, you will need to wait until your account will be migrated to LTE, you will receive a notification when it will be migrated.

If you encounter any difficulties, do not hesitate to open the ticket again.

Have a great day!

-Laurentiu, Fizz team.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭

This is good, this means that the migration will be done in batches during the Spring

Hopefully I will receive soon the message :D

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,672 ✭✭

good news .........

• Derr

Yes very good news

• ah727

At least we know it's coming!

• FizzyFizz JQMPM

That's promising news! Let's wait for the email then

• ah727
    edited March 2023

@uzedia

"After my post yesterday, I haven't been able connect to T-Mobile again, only to AT&T but I cannot make calls with them, just data. This is absolutely weird and not very reassuring."

If you can't connect to T-Mobile at all (no data and no calls), then T-Mobile is out of reach in your area. Going outside the building sometime helps, but best is to try in a different location.

Thanks for reporting. At least we see things are not always that simple.

• Nicolas H. 848
    Nicolas H. 848 Posts: 53 ✭✭

I got great news from Fizz yesterday that my line was being migrated over to LTE and I should have Volte enabled within 48 hrs.

Sure enough, this morning I tested by making a phone call and my LTE signal was stable and did not switch to 3G. Thank you Fizz!!

Oh, and I’ve been with Fizz from the start (early beta tester) so for those who are still waiting. It’s on the way. 👏🏻

• ah727
    edited March 2023

@Nicolas H. 848

Great news. I'm with Fizz since at least 4 years. Hope my turn will come soon.

I've got an Android phone (Samsung A52 5G). Don't know if the migration is phone based, regional, or other criteria.

Did Fizz send you your LTE SIM card prior to migration?

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭

@Nicolas H. 848 You join in 2018 therefore they started

Very good news!!!! Thank you for sharing

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,787 admin

That's a great news :)

Our team is dedicated to make sure everyone will be migrated soon. It is a complex process and we want to make sure we do it right. And it's our number 1 priority Fizzlers !!

• SkyHigh88
    SkyHigh88 Posts: 138 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

I hope so. I am traveling to U.S. soon and hopefully VoLTE is activated for my acccount by the time. So for now, i am relying on all the you who can donate extra data, lol.

• uzedia

Tried all that but won't work. 2G not available. I am now in Savannah and only AT&T

• uzedia

But it was available at exactly the same location, inside and outside.

• Derr

This is really odd

• ah727

@uzedia

"But it was available at exactly the same location, inside and outside."

Certainly wierd, maybe temporary issues with T-Mobile. Does T-Mobile data still work?

We are hearing that some "old" users are starting to get VoLTE. That's something you can check once in a while.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM

It will be certainly released in waves in order to being able to assess any unexpected issue or bug...

• Derr

Yes exactly, just like at the SAAQ a few weeks ago 😂

• Stephen G. #32755
    Stephen G. #32755 Posts: 43 ✭✭

Boy, I sure hope my wife and I are both switched over to VOLTE within the next month to six weeks. We head to USA in May and we need voice/text which means we need VOLTE. Fizz - if there is any way of migrating us before our trip I really hope you do it. Not having voice/text in the US this past August was not good. We really are hoping to not have to do that again.

Is it worthwhile contacting through Chat to see if you can make sure we are on the migration list for April? Any Whizzes out there that can help?

• Stephen G. #32755

We could even manage mostly OK IF we could get my wife's new Fizz-purchased Pixel 7 migrated but I'd love my Samsung S10e migrated too. Videotron has VOLTE certified S10e so why hasn't Fizz?

Keeping my fingers crossed

• Derr
  • Stephen G. #32755

It all depends upon how you define "long". it has already been "long" in my mind. I'm worrying about having phone/text in USA come May/June and perhaps having to use a different provider that already has VOLTE working in the USA. I don't want to switch, I mostly like FIZZ but lack of phone/text while in USA is troublesome.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that sometimes in April my wife and I both get activated on VOLTE. We both already have the correct SIM cards.