Our mobile network is evolving.

Hi everyone, 

Great news! Our mobile network is evolving, and you’ll have access to VoLTE (Voice over LTE) when it becomes available on our LTE network. Your calls will then use our LTE network instead and you’ll enjoy better sound quality among other things. 

First thing first, your SIM card. 

To stay ahead of the game, you need a VoLTE compatible SIM card. If you ordered your Fizz SIM card between September 2021 and today, you’re good. Your SIM card is compatible with VoLTE and shows a red lightning bolt icon. 

Several batches of invitations. 

For all of you who currently have a 3G SIM card, Fizz will see that each and everyone of you gets a FREE VoLTE compatible SIM card. You’ll receive an email invitation to order it. This process will take place over several weeks, so don’t worry if you’re not part of the first batch. 

If you have questions or you’re looking for more info, we have this FAQ just for you: 

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-volte-important 

The Fizz team. 

Comments

• François
    François Posts: 17 ✭✭

a re-insert of the SIM fixed the prob!!

• Doomdrou
    Doomdrou Posts: 725 ✭✭

That's good news! It's probably the only thing that separated Fizz from competitors.

When will it be available?

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭

About time! Fizz waited too long to implement this and many customers suffered the consequences for that. Why it took them so long to finally implement it (especially because it has been public knowledge for a long time that 3G networks are shutting down) is beyond me.

Here's a data point: VoLTE did not work in Portugal and Austria. When I had an incoming call, it lost connection (no service) as 3G was not available

• Rimi
    Rimi Posts: 18 ✭✭

if we have the volte sim card, can we already male volte calls or do we need to wait?

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 20,637 ✭✭

Sorry to let you know that my VoLTE SIM I was not able to make or receive calls in NY and VT

The Whizz wrote

Our mobile network is evolving, and you’ll have access to VoLTE (Voice over LTE) when it becomes available on our LTE network

• ivey
    ivey Posts: 9 ✭✭

Awesome news! Has anyone here received an invitation?

• Vesper
    Vesper Posts: 31 ✭✭

Great news, thanks!

• Nickkkkkkk
    Nickkkkkkk Posts: 1 ✭✭

Fizzing out Fizz!

You know about about the situation, therefore Fizz should have been proactive on the volte sim card. Also, there is no guarantee that the volte will work in the US, which gives me no choice but I will be cancelling both fizz accounts next week.

• Brent C.
    Brent C. Posts: 2 ✭✭

So I got the invite to order a new SIM and it arrived yesterday. I went to so a swap and it said that my SIM is already attached to another account. I thought that maybe it was already attached to mine so I put it in my phone and it was unable to connect to the network.

I guess I’ll have to request a new SIM

• Fethi H.
    Fethi H. Posts: 16 ✭✭

Fizz has bugs in the activation and sim swap process.

Be ready for surprise, having invalid sim card that doesn't work.

The customer service will be blind and bother you with email stating that everything is good.

Disapointing

• Greg
    Greg Posts: 34 ✭✭

Can you please provide a timeframe ?

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭

One minor bug the new VoLTE Sim card has, is that the network icon in the top status bar toggles from LTE to 4G when i'm calling which is not true, because my Network Signal Info app shows me I'm in 3G (UMTS for calls and HSPA for data). I have a Samsung A52 5G, but I tried the new Sim card in my wife's LG K61 and same issue. My wife is with Videotron (Videotron has VoLTE) and the network icon remains as LTE when she makes a call.

• EricPD
    EricPD Posts: 152 ✭✭

at some point, some providers were calling HSPA “4G”, while it was really 3.5G…

• ah727
    edited July 2022

@EricPD

That's what I thought, but it's more a Videotron issue. My wife has a LG K61 phone with Videotron (Videotron has VoLTE), and it's the same pattern: 3G (no HSPA), but the top status network icon displays 4G, same as my Samsung A52 5G with Fizz. That adds to the confusion of whether call is VoLTE or not.

Fizz with Samsung A52 5G (FizzExt because automatic selection of stronger signal - Fizz was too weak)

Videotron with LG K61: 3G signal, but 4G network status.

• ah727

@Alfio

"I see that there are reports that the new SIM cards do in fact work in the USA for voice calls after-all"

I would not bet on that. What I have seen reported is that calls do generally work in the United States. For most these are 2G or 3G calls, which in itself is good news. But very few have confirmed VoLTE calls. And at least one has confirmed in Florida connecting to LTE, but unable to make a call despite a new phone (Samsung A53 5G) and the new Sim card. Myself, I could make calls 4 weeks ago in North eastern USA, but twice, even though I could play YouTube, I had to use SKYPE to make a call with my Samsung A52 5G, even though I have the new Sim card. So make sure you set up properly if you go to the USA.

• ah727

@François

One way to check if your Sim card is the VoLTE one.

Go to About Phone, and click on Sim card Status.

It will show the Mobile voice network type: LTE.

It doesn't mean that VoLTE already works yet, but your sim card is VoLTE ready.

• Vasiok
    Vasiok Posts: 1,337 ✭✭

This is really cool!

• ah727

@Vasiok

Yes, mobile voice type says LTE, but not VoLTE not working yet. Also IMS registration status should show registered I think. Still something missing.

• Vasiok

is there a way to know that this service was implemented?

• D_M_O
    D_M_O Posts: 126 ✭✭

thanks a lot!

• TomC
    TomC Posts: 1 ✭✭

Sorry to report that despite having the new VoLTE enabled sim card, when I traveled to northern Vermont today (Enosburg Falls (about 45 minutes north of Burlington) my wife and I were both unable to make calls without resorting to What'sApp. Data worked of course, but why should I use my data when I am paying Fizz for coverage (unlimited calls and texting) but not receiving the service I am paying for. Fizz is not being transparent or honest by saying to their paying customers that "our network is evolving". What it really means is coverage is hit or miss at best and that we're not getting any coverage in places we go despite previously having that coverage. We will both be leaving Fizz because Fizz is not getting it done and also not telling us exactly what they are doing about it and when we can expect it to be fixed. That's the bottom line. Fizz is taking our money under false pretenses. So goodbye Fizz (and by extension Videotron, which is having the same issues if you look on their site). Talk about amateur hour!

• ah727

@Vasiok

Calls go through 2G and 3G networks. When you make a call, the network status should stay LTE during the call. You can see the network status in the top status bar. But in Quebec, the network status toggles down to 3G, or H, or 4G, which means that calls don't go through the LTE network right now. Maybe later.

• ah727

@TomC

I understand your deception, and if you can find a better deal than Fizz for USA travel. go for it. Fizz has warned us about this and we know this is temporary. And in my case, I am confident Fizz will remain the best deal for a USA plan.

• EricPD
    EricPD Posts: 152 ✭✭

For VoLTE roaming to work, we need:

• phone compatible with VoLTE
    • VoLTE compatible SIM card
    • VoLTE working on Fizz network
    • VoLTE working on roaming network
    • VoLTE agreement between Fizz and roaming networks

we are stuck waiting for #3…

• ah727

@EricPD

You are right. But some new users with I-Phone 12 or 13 are apparently making VoLTE calls in Montreal and in the USA. They seem to be a few steps ahead

• Deh
    Deh Posts: 573 ✭✭

That's nice! My SIM is not compatible so i'll be waiting for the email I guess

• Vasiok
  • ah727
    edited July 2022

@Lily C. #33504

If Fizz says you are not eligible for the new Sim card, maybe you have it already. You can carefully pull it out, and check if it has a small red lightning bolt on it. Or for an Android phone, you can confirm if your Sim card Mobile voice network type is LTE by going to SETTINGS - ABOUT PHONE - SIM CARD STATUS. It won't mean you can make VoLTE calls, because Fizz isn't ready yet. but your Sim card is ready for it.

• Earl A.
    Earl A. Posts: 11 ✭✭

Hope to get my invite soon and get my new SIM in the mail soon.

• swatt
    swatt Posts: 3,393 ✭✭

Good news.

• BEBE
    BEBE Posts: 128 ✭✭

for me the new sim didnt work for volte calls. tested with 2 android and 1 iphone. all new volte sim. lets see what Fizz is doing.....

• ah727

@BEBE Thanks for reporting. I think VoLTE doesn't work yet in the USA. People are reporting they can make calls, but T-Mobile's 2G is still available in many areas, and it's probably the reason they can make calls. If a person buys calling minutes, he will be in trouble. You need to have data and have a calling app enabled (Skype, Messenger...). Other apps are also available

• ah727
    edited August 2022

@BEBE

Forwarding your phone to a Textnow number is also a good option, but I haven't tried it yet.

• Sammy162
    Sammy162 Posts: 1 ✭✭

Can't wait to try it!