RCS is now live on my phone! Is it officially launched?

Domenico C. #4571
Domenico C. #4571 Posts: 27 ✭✭

I opened my Android Messages app a few minutes ago and it asked me if I wanted to enable Chat features (aka RCS). It is now active on my phone and I can see the features working with my wife's phone (she is not on Fizz and has had RCS for some time). My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 10. Anyone else getting RCS activated?

Best Answer

• Domenico C. #4571
    Answer ✓

Well, I've been checking in on this topic for awhile, and Google disabled, awhile back, the hack that allowed users to bypass their providers and use Google's RCS servers. So, I assume this must be official from Fizz. If you get a chance, try the official Google Messages app and see if RCS gets enabled automatically.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging

Answers

• Nicolas_R
    Nicolas_R Posts: 35 ✭✭

I don't think it's officially launched by Fizz. More like it's simply available through Google. I use a different messages app and I still don't have RCS.

Hope to see RCS activated soon by fizz. It's been a while since other providers got it now.

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭

I dont no if it official but i dont see news about it so i tend to think its not. But maybe im wrong and tomorrow will be the official reveal :)

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 888 ✭✭

Hi,

I've read on Fizz that post : https://fizz.ca/en/faq/whats-rcs-messaging-android-phones

With that, I assume the RCS are available from Fizz.

But to be sure, you can try to ask @Whizz to have the right answer.

Good Luck!

• Dgjf

Ho your right Justin thanks its seem pretty official my bad :)

• Domenico C. #4571

@Justin That post has been on Fizz's site since at least November 2020. I posted about it then:

https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/2525615/is-rcs-support-now-available-on-fizz#latest

• Dgjf

Its strange so it official ? In beta test or its only work with a number of parameter ?

• Dgjf

Its strange so it official ? In beta test or its only work with a number of parameter ?

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭

I believe I read somewhere, that Google can enable it from their side as well and would do so if phone providers do't change it themselves. Sl maybe that's what happened for you?

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭

I got the notification this morning. So check it out, it's the Google message App.

In the French forum, some Fizz clients to successfully tried already.

• Domenico C. #4571

@idéfizz I saw the thread on the French forum. Looks like it's rolling out to many users. I'll assume it's officially rolling out. Thanks!

• kokoboko
    kokoboko Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi friends,

I was using it on my phone like day by day, didn't realize that is something new... works perfect.

• Kyle C. #853
    Kyle C. #853 Posts: 86 ✭✭

RCS seems to be working on my phone too. activated around March 3 or 4. sadly I only have 2 or 3 contacts who i can use it with :(.

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭

Yeah, I think Google said they would enable it on their end. Many carriers in the us were reluctant to come onboard so they started to enable it themselves.

I wish that Apple would just open iMessage to everyone.

• cristi
    cristi Posts: 223 ✭✭

Its Google app supports RCS

This discussion has been closed.