Will my phone work if I buy data for the USA

Options
Oindo
Oindo Posts: 13 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a VoLTE certified phone with a VoLTE SIM. I have seen conflicting posts on whether phones using FIZZ will work in the USA. Can anybody confirm that this will work? I don't want to have to waste money on adding funds to my wallet or buying data if possible.

I even had conflicting stories from two different customer representatives on the chat. First one said no it won't work and the second one was giving me the possible options for buying add-ons.

Also, if I can't use my phone in the States, why do I have options to buy add-ons for travelling to the States!!! That doesn't seem right.

Best Answer

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

In Canada, if you disable your data probably you are using the 3G

You saw that you are using VoLTE in Canada, since before activating the VoLTE (this options usually is activated only when the plan support it) your phone was using the 3G after activating the VoLTE the call stay in LTE

For me the VoLTE was connecting the call faster then in 3G and the quality was a bit improved

If you have VoLTE (which it seems the case) the phone can be use in the USA to make calls

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @Oindo

When did you activate your plan?

If you activate after Mars 2022 it will work, if you activated before the 16 Mars 2022, depends if your plan was migrated to the VoLTE technology.

Can you try to make a call in Quebec, to see if you stay in LTE or your phone is switching to 3G

If you put money in your fizz wallet you can be refund

This will not work for the addon

• Oindo
    edited May 2023
    Options

I think Mar. 2019. I have one of the new VoLTE sim card that replaced my old one. My phone is a Samsung S20 Fe 5g which is supposed to be VoLTE satisfied

• Jess_i88b6
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @Oindo if you activated in 2019, and you didn't receive the notification probably your account is not migrated yet

Can you try to make a call and check if you stay in LTE or if your phone is switching in 3G?

If the phone is switching in 3G, this means that in order to use in the USA you need to force the use of 2G network for the voice.

The data will work in either case, but you should use 3G or 4G.

• Oindo
    Options

I made a call. The phone never switched to 3G. LTE was showing

• Jess_i88b6
    edited May 2023
    Options

Only to be sure, can you check that you don't have the VoLTE options https://www.androidcentral.com/how-enable-volte-samsung-galaxy-phone

If you don't have the VoLTE options, this means that your plan is not migrated yet.

Therefore, you can use the data in the USA with an addon or the Fizz's wallet

But if you want to make a call, you need to force the phone to use the 2G with TMobile or verizone and fore sure have the money in the wallet or an addons

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭
    Options

have you received the two confirmation emails that you have migrated Volte

• Oindo
    Options

@Jess_i88b6 I do have that enabled. Thanks!

• Jess_i88b6
    edited May 2023
    Options

Did you enabled now?

If you enabled now, can you make a call to see?

• Oindo
    Options

@Sébastien code ZXEL1 I never got emails. I had to order the SIM card myself. Would the customer support person be able to verify that my plan has been migrated?

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭
    Options

yes went through the support to see if you have been migrated volte

• Jess_i88b6
    Options

@Oindo

If when you make a call your phone switched you don't have the VoLTE plan yet

• Oindo
    Options

@Jess_i88b6 when I made the call, the VoLTE calls option was enabled. I had the LTE+ symbol showing when I made the call

• Jess_i88b6
    edited May 2023
    Options

Then it seems that you are migrated, when a call is made in LTE this means that the call is done using VoLTE

• Oindo
    Options

i will check again with customer support to see if my plan was migrated. If so that means the phone should work in the USA?

• Jess_i88b6
    Options

yes

When you go, remember to activate the data roaming (you need it also for the calls now :D )

• Oindo
    Options

@Jess_i88b6 if I disable my data. I can still make calls. Does that mean I'm just using a 2g or a 3g network?

• Oindo
    Options

thanks for the help everyone

• AK20230110
    AK20230110 Posts: 3,951 ✭✭
    Options

Very informative, thanks.

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,446 ✭✭
    Options

Have a nice trip!