Understanding VoLTE and its implications.

Options
13»

Comments

• BeakBird
    BeakBird Posts: 1,883 ✭✭
    Options

VoLTE is basically VoIP over 4G LTE.

VoNR is basically VoIP over 5G NR.

Both should be easy to implement on any phone that is compatible to the infrastructure.

Where it gets complicated is when different carriers use different frequency bands for the service. It forces users to use phones that support those frequency bands (usually sold by the carriers).

I hope I'm wrong but it looks like a new form of carrier locking phones.

• ohnomydatasgone
    ohnomydatasgone Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Options
    Why have a volte whitelist? If the phone supports volte shouldnt it just work?
  • BeakBird
    Options

VoLTE is a service that uses various IP protocols to enable voice calls over LTE networks.

It takes the analog voice signal from the microphone and encodes it to digital data. It also decodes the incoming digital data to an analog signal that is sent to the speaker.

To prepare for transmission, the data is split and encapsulated in packets that implement the IP protocols. For reception the opposite is done (the packets are decapsulated and the data is reassembled).

The packets are transmitted and received over the 4G LTE network.

There are specific frequency band requirements that VoLTE-capable devices must meet based on the operator's deployed LTE bands. So if your VoLTE capable phone does not support the frequency bands used by Fizz it can't work.

There can also be differences in the codecs (encoders and decoders) used by operators. If the codecs are different it is the equivalent of speaking different languages.

• ohnomydatasgone
    Options
    > @BeakBird said:
    > VoLTE is a service that uses various IP protocols...

This is very interesting, you seem very knowlegeable on this! My current phone is on the whitelist but the phone I am looking to purchase is not. Do you know, roughly, when 3g will be phased out?
  • BeakBird
    Options

These are the planned shutdowns for the big 3:

Telus: December 2025

Bell: December 2025

Rogers: March 2025

So Fizz will probably be around the same dates.

• ohnomydatasgone
    Options
    > @BeakBird said:
    > These are the planned shutdowns for the big 3:
    > Telus: December 2025
    > Bell: December 2025
    > Rogers: March 2025
    > So Fizz will probably be around the same dates.

Oh wow thats sooner than I thought, best to stick to the whitelist then! Heres hoping more phones get added soon
  • BeakBird
    Options

I get the feeling that the whitelist will grow until then. Specially for newer phones.

• ohnomydatasgone
    Options
    > @BeakBird said:
    > I get the feeling that the whitelist will grow until then. Specially for newer phones.

I hope so! I know its unlikely but I hope they also whitelist some more niche devices as well. Like the suspiciously cheap Android phones on Amazon (some are actually decent!)
  • BeakBird
    Options

I think it will be a business decision. So devices with the largest market share will be prioritized.

• ohnomydatasgone
    Options
    > @BeakBird said:
    > I think it will be a business decision. So devices with the largest market share will be prioritized.

Makes sense. Although the current whitelist has TCL phones on it, and I don't imagine those are super popular, at least compared to all the other phones on the whitelist (Google, Samsung, Apple)
  • BeakBird
    Options

Hopefully all the involved parties will eventually agree on a common set of protocols and codecs eliminating all the device restrictions.

Once a standard is established phone manufacturers can update their firmware to be compatible.

• ansher
    ansher Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options
    OnePlus can be configured to enable Volte with Fizz. It's for rather advanced users, but I made it work . You need Videotron mbn file from pixel 5 , follow the upload process and them enable profile in PCD tools.
  • BeakBird
    Options

Hi. Does this require the phone to be rooted?

• amp3d
    amp3d Posts: 3
    Options
    > @ansher said:
    > OnePlus can be configured to enable Volte with Fizz. It's for rather advanced users, but I made it work . You need Videotron mbn file from pixel 5 , follow the upload process and them enable profile in PCD tools.

This is pretty great info! Any idea where to find the mbn file?
  • amp3d
    amp3d Posts: 3
    Options
    > @ansher said:
    > OnePlus can be configured to enable Volte with Fizz. It's for rather advanced users, but I made it work . You need Videotron mbn file from pixel 5 , follow the upload process and them enable profile in PCD tools.

This is a great idea. I just grabbed the mbn file, but I'm curious as to what device you used this on? I have a op7pro and a op12 as well. Can you point me to the pcd tools?
  • BeakBird
    Options

Maybe you could try reaching him via private message. I'm curious about the procedure as well. I'm wondering if you need to root or just copy via ADB.