Withdrawal of the Fizz wallet ???

Options
golden
golden Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 12 in About my account

I received an email from fizz : Withdrawal of the Fizz wallet for the Ottawa region.

Really?! How can I pay for my international calls? (No addons for some countries)

low use of the Fizz wallet in the Ottawa region?

If this was all fizz wallets maybe I could understand, but only for Ottawa this doesn't cost anything for Fizz.

Best Answer

Answers

• elena code xzi4t
    elena code xzi4t Posts: 4,513 ✭✭
    edited March 4
    Options

Hi @golden

This is a very strange, I never saw it.

You can always by an addon, however, this will be only for a specific zone

However, this will not have the same flexibility of the wallet

I believe that you need to contact the support, stay on the guide, click on the green bubble on the bottom right of the page.

• Rachel T. #8181
    Rachel T. #8181 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Options

I'm in the same boat - I use the wallet for all calls and texts as I generally only need data and make calls using WhatsApp and such. Using an add-on will cost me much more and I can't change my Fizz plan without paying double, as I'm on one of their grandfathered plans and any changes mean I don't get that benefit any more. Oh well, looks like I'll be leaving Fizz. Don't understand this decision at all. I don't suppose anyone knows if there's any option to get just a few minutes or texts each month? Crazy to pay for unlimited both when I use something like 5 mins and 2 texts per month.

• elena code xzi4t
    Options

Did you contact the support, it seems unfair. Why to change the rule only to specific region?

Probably they move the coverage, now the Ottawa region is considered Ontario zone (since Fizz is covering Ontario now) and this is linked with the beta program.

• BlueGiant_L57D2
    BlueGiant_L57D2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @golden ,

Good to know: Offers, services and prices are subject to change without notice and may differ by province. In the case of the Fizz Wallet, it is only offered in Quebec.

Maybe It's something new... 😕

• M T. #12340
    M T. #12340 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    Options
  • golden
    Options

Withdrawal of the Fizz wallet for the Ottawa region.

In light of the low use of the Fizz wallet in the Ottawa region, this service has been withdrawn.

If you have funds left in your Wallet, you can continue to use that money to pay for your pay-per-use services. You won't be able to add any more funds, however.

• elena code xzi4t
    edited March 4
    Options

On February 20, 2024 it was not there, yes it is something new

Probably it is for the beta period only

• Super
    Super Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Options

We've received the same message on both our Ottawa phones today. Don't understand either as we've used the wallet for multiple trips out of Canada. "Low use"? I doubt that's the reason, there must be some other financial reason.

• Rachel T. #8181
    Rachel T. #8181 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Options

I contacted support and they confirmed that the only options are to change my plan (which in my case doubles its price) or to buy add-ons (which also ends up costing me a lot more given my low usage). The annoying thing was that they seemed to think that I would be perfectly happy to double the price of my plan and kept insisting this was absolutely fine. Of course I understand that an individual support person can't change a Fizz-wide decision, but at least they could understand that I don't want to pay double!

• M T. #12340
    M T. #12340 Posts: 600 ✭✭
    edited March 4
    Options

I think by removing Wallet function, Fizz is attempting to force subscribers to use their add on (that is subject to be expired after 2 cycles) to have a more steady revenue.

You could use "free *" VOIP app for your limited usage ; some "free" VOIP app allows you to have "wallet" function for international calls and "100% free *" calls in Canada

"*" : nothing is really free : there are adds in their apps ; I was fortunately enough to buy a one shot 7$ fee, few years a go, to remove all ADs forever ; I don't know if that option is still available.

• golden
    Options

Let's be honest, the only reason we're with Fizz is the price. Coverage, support, phone offers, etc., are better elsewhere.

If we have to change our plans or buy add-ons and double the price, this will be the end of our journey with Fizz.

• golden
    Options

Can anyone from Fizz tell us if having wallet in Ottawa cost anything for Fizz if they are offering the wallet everywhere else?!

• BlueGiant_L57D2
    BlueGiant_L57D2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭
    Options

Maybe not…

But you accepted the mobile services agreement when you subscribed to Fizz… It’s the game… :

15.3. Our right to amend the contents of your Agreement.

We may, at any time, amend any part of your Agreement, including the price and nature of the service provided. We must notify you of any changes at

least 30 days before the effective date, by notice dealing only with this subject. The notice must clearly and legibly indicate:

- the information added to your Agreement, or the amended clause with its original version;

- the effective date of the amendment; and

- any other information we are required to include by law or regulation.

Your rights

If the amendment increases the scope of your commitments or reduces our obligations, you may refuse the amendment and terminate your Agreement at no charge.

In all cases, you remain responsible for paying the price of the services provided up to the date your Agreement ended.

• Geod
    Geod Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Options

I wonder what will happen to roaming texts.

As when you travel overseas the only way to pay for texts is from the wallet.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,238 admin
    Options

Hello everyone,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the current situation of the Wallet removal from the Ottawa region. We understand your point of view, however, after a period of observation and analysis, our dedicated teams noticed that the Wallet option is indeed not used by a big part of the Fizz customers in the area, therefore, they decided to remove it.

We do not have any information at the moment for the duration of this measure, hence why we cannot speculate whether the Wallet will remain unavailable or will be at your disposal again in the future.

In the meantime, we suggest using other means to get the service you need, starting from Add-ons to even plan changes, if it works better for you.

As some of you mentioned here, please note that the Add-ons are available for the duration of the current payment cycle and the next one, so if you are not using too many text messages or calls, you can cover two payment cycles with one Add-on. Here is an FAQ with more information https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-is-an-add-on-and-how-do-i-buy-one.

Feel free to contact our customer service representatives if you need further assistance.

Have a good one!

-Sergiu, Community Moderator.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 6,114 ✭✭
    Options

As other have said, one of the best Fizz feature is being cheap and flexible and having to give up the wallet option is not fair and customers will end up paying more for the same service. Honestly, removing a feature just because is not being used that much doesn't sound right to me. In my opinion they just testing how the wallet removal will affect customers and revenue and they opted for the market with less usage as Ottawa appears to be... let's see what happens... I removed sms from my plan because of the wallet option, so I really hope it's not gonna be removed in my region too

• Super
    Super Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Options

I'm in Mexico, so much for the 30 day notice. Tried to add funds to my wallet immediately upon receipt of the email to get me through the month and Fizz won't allow me to add more.

I guess the solution is to purchase a Telcel sim card.

Frustrating

• Gareth H.
    Gareth H. Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited March 6
    Options

I'm in the same boat. I make calls rarely, so I chose a data-only plan, and then I use the wallet to pay for calls on a per-minute basis when I need to do so. I also use the wallet funds sometimes when I'm on an international trip. Withdrawing the availability of the wallet in Ottawa means my phone will be unable to make any calls now I suppose. I assume they did it to force me to change my plan to a more expensive one. Typical telco gouging. Probably this will make me look elsewhere. If I'm going to have to pay more every month for features I almost never use no matter who I'm with then I might as well do that with a company that has stores I can actually visit and talk to. Sad because I've been a happy Fizz customer for years now.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

This is really sad to hear. Unfortunately there's not much we can do...

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭
    Options

There will be definitely an exodus of users due to the wallet removal for other provinces.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

you are right Andrei, it's either Fizz decreases their price to compensate how much you have to spend to add a feature you were using through the wallet or people are gonna switch to other carriers.

• golden
    Options

Will the wallet be removed for other low-population regions?

If the wallet is removed for Ottawa with a population of 1 million, what about Saguenay in Quebec with 40 residents and 2 people using Fizz?

This discussion has been closed.