Understanding VoLTE and its implications.

Options
2»

Comments

• Vanni
    Vanni Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Options

I tried to make VoLTE work on my OnePlus. I could get the option available in the setting menu without rooting the phone, but I couldn't modify the parameters needed to get VoLTE to actually work, I guess I would have had to root the phone.

I think it's disgraceful that nothing has been done to make it easier, but I guess it would take some time before the issue gets in front of a Competition Authority. It's a major obstacle to changing carrier and/or phone, therefore it reduces competition and reduces choice for consumers.

• Vanni
    Options

Not all phones have the same operating system. I guess with time standardization will be introduced (or imposed), but for now we have this big hot mess.

• Bennikoo
    Bennikoo Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you for the explanation
  • jiyingss
    jiyingss Posts: 957 ✭✭
    Options

Sounds good! Thanks.

• jiyingss
    jiyingss Posts: 957 ✭✭
    Options

Still no working for me . New lighting bolt SIM card. Dont know how to set up th phone . Signal shows H+, NOT 4G

• Claude J. #27154
    Claude J. #27154 Posts: 146 ✭✭
    Options

I just ordered mine but it says thay the antenna in my region is not updated, we'll see if it still work

• zipilgrim
    zipilgrim Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Options

SIMs that support LTE also support 3G, so if your antenna is still not updated you'll be fine, everything will still work in 3G. I seriously doubt that Canada will completely move over and stop 3G while some regions still have 3G-only antennae, so you should have no problem either way.

• outfizz
    outfizz Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options
    :( seems like being early to a new flagship has problems. My phone is not on the list but past generations are.
  • Kyle C. #853
    Kyle C. #853 Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Options

I've watched VOLTE get deployed at other carriers and Fizz is following the same pattern.

They will only ever certify phones that they sell. Oneplus, Xiaomi, Huawei etc... those phones will never be certified.

I don't know if the certification process involves formally whitelisting individual models or if it's certain specifications that are needed but I suspect things will go like this:

A Oneplus phone might work on the Fizz VOLTE, but it will be purely an accident.

As Fizz sells new phones, those new phones will be added to the certified list.

As far as I can tell, only 1 nationwide carrier openly allows devices onto its VOLTE network. I think it's Bell but I could be wrong.

This is a Canada-wide mobile industry problem. Almost no other country lets its mobile carrier get away with this.

• Louis T. 55987
    Louis T. 55987 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I am planning to buy a doogee V 30 rugged phone and I was wondering if it is compatible with FIZZ. Or maybe suggesting similar phone that I could purchased.

Thanks

• Kyle C. #853
    Kyle C. #853 Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Options

You would have to google the "doogee V 30" bands and then google Videotron/Fizz's bands and compare.

My guesstimate is that you'll at least get voice text and data (not sure if LTE or HSPA).

If you get VOLTE it will only be by accident as that is not a list on Fizz's Volte certified device list:.

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices#3

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 6,417 ✭✭
    Options

I have a pixel 4xl though... even if it's compatible with volte, it has never been certified by Fizz

• Vanni
    Options

It isn't just a "whitelisting" exercise. For VoLTE to work with a certain phone it is necessary to insert certain parameters into the operating system and make sure they work, so it requires some work to be done by carriers and manufacturers alike.

Quite obviously carriers only have a certain bandwidth for this task, so they will go for what gives them the biggest bang for their buck, i.e. the phones with the largest market share and/or the phones they sell directly. The same goes for manufacturers: having to go through this process for every single operator in the world (or in the markets where they are selling their products) is time-consuming and expensive, so they will focus their efforts on the carriers that have the largest number of customers.

Therefore, who ends up being screwed are customers of smaller operators using niche phones...

Hopefully, if the problem gets big enough the Competition Commission is going to intervene, which is what it should happen. I wouldn't hold my breath for Canada, but maybe it's going to happen in some other parts of the world and Canada will just get on the train...

• marjolaine L. #29094
    Options

Thanks for the info, do you know if they are in french somewhere

• h3ll
    h3ll Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Options

Seems more like marketing to sell newer phones.. If my Samsung S9+ is VoLTE compliant I dont see how hard it could be to accept it on the network if they accept the newer models...

• h3ll
    h3ll Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Options

Which info would you like in French?

Quelles informations souhaiteriez-vous en français ?

• Easygolucky
    Easygolucky Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Options

That is awesome :) Happy to hear it is working for you

• Leifuer
    Leifuer Posts: 498 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for letting us know!

Just want to know, is Fizz planning to deploy E-SIM? I believe so, so when?

• BlueGiant_L57D2
    BlueGiant_L57D2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the explanations !

• ashwaganda
    ashwaganda Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited January 24
    Options

As a Canadian student, I understand the importance of staying connected, especially in an academic environment where communication is crucial. With the phasing out of the 3G network, it's essential for us to adapt to new technologies like VoLTE for uninterrupted service. It's good to see Fizz being proactive in facilitating this transition for its users.

• Poposlick
    Poposlick Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Options

Honestly, it was about time we got VoLTE.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

Unfortunately Fizz couldn't keep up with the certification of older phones, even those that are compatible. On the other hand they are once in a while giving discounts for buying new phones that are already volte-certified

• pyuriko
    pyuriko Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the info!

• Gramart
    Gramart Posts: 196 ✭✭
    Options

I can confirm VoLTE works on my iphone 8! Thank you Fizz!

• propea
    propea Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for this explanation.

• Jujube_18
    Jujube_18 Posts: 4
    Options
    Merci. 🙂
    Thank you. ☺️
  • Mark123_2024
    Mark123_2024 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭
    Options
    Now when satellite calls and messages are available we are still stucked on VoLTE. It will be normal to switch to 5G no?
  • Sylynce
    Sylynce Posts: 15
    Options
    3G room still be around well into 2025. So older phones will still have some life left in them, at least for a little while longer
  • Anto99
    Anto99 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

Hello,

I got a pixel 6a bought with fizz and i wonder how to use the volte? Does the option is activated by default?

• Mark123_2024
    Mark123_2024 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭
    Options

Yes, it suppose to activate by himself. Check the signal when you are in different areas to see if it's active or switch the SIM card in another phone if you have this possibility.

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    Options

If you want to check if you are actually using volte, try to make a call (when you are not connected to any wifi) and check if the LTE symbol in the status bar remains. If it does, you are using volte to make the call!