Travel add-on

js2x
js2x Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in My Mobile

Hi, the last time I traveled to the US I bought a data travel add-on, but once there I couldn’t get my data to work no matter what I did for the entirety of the trip. Ended up requesting a refund. I’m returning there soon and I purchased an add-on again. Really need it to work this time. Is there something I need to do to activate it?

Best Answers

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

@js2x

I’m outside my coverage zone and my mobile data isn’t working. Why?

Is there mobile data in your plan?

Is your mobile data activated?

Restart your phone

Is the Wi-Fi function turned off?

Is your APN is correctly set up? (Android)

Does the phone choose the right network?

Note: If you are having difficulty making or receiving calls while you are travelling

You will not be able to make calls while roaming outside your Canada or the United States.

Roaming calls (incoming or outgoing) will be available at a later time. We will update this FAQ when we have a firm date.

In the meantime, you will be able to use data, and send/receive texts when you travel outside your coverage zone. To make and receive calls, you can use messaging apps such as WhatsApp or Messenger.

Note: Charges may apply to use your phone while you are outside your coverage zone. See: I’m travelling outside Canada. What are my roaming options?

When you are traveling outside your usual coverage area and using your phone, you must connect to an available local mobile network that is compatible with your phone.

Troubleshooting:
    Is there mobile data in your plan?
    1. If your plan does not include data, you will not be able to connect to the Fizz mobile internet network.
    2. 1. You can adjust your plan to extend you data coverage to all Canada or Canada+US : this change comes into effect at the start of your next billing cycle.
    3. 2. You can also add data to your plan and use them right away by buying a Travel data Add-on.
    4. 3. Remember that you can also access the internet by connecting to a WiFi network.
    5. 4. If you are travelling, depending on the country you are visiting, you may be able to add money to your wallet to pay as you go.

6. For more details, consult this FAQ : I’m travelling outside my coverage zone. What are my roaming options?
    Is your mobile data activated?
    1. Activate mobile data on your phone.
    2. Your phone has a software switch that allows you to connect or disconnect from the Fizz mobile network. By doing this, you can allow or prevent your phone from using mobile data.
    3. The steps to follow to enable your phone to use mobile data vary depending on the model of your phone. Here are two examples:
    4. AndroidSettings → Mobile network → Mobile data
    5. iPhoneSettings → Cellular network → Cellular data
    6. If you are outside your coverage zone, you may need to activate mobile roaming data.
    7. The steps to follow to activate mobile roaming data vary depending on the model of your phone. here are two examples:
    8. AndroidSettings → Mobile network → Roaming
    9. iPhoneSettings → General → Cellular → Options → Data roaming
    Restart your phone
    1. Reboot (power cycle) your phone by holding down the phone’s start button for 10 seconds.
    2. Following your reboot, your applications will load. Your phone will then re-authenticate to the Fizz mobile network and potentially recover its authorization to access the network.
    Is the Wi-Fi function turned off?
    1. Make sure you have temporarily deactivated WiFi on your phone.
    2. A phone could keep trying to connect only to WiFi when its WiFi function is activated.
    3. Deactivating WiFi, at least temporarily, may enable you to access mobile data.
    4. The process of deactivating WiFi can vary, depending on the type of phone. Here are two examples:
    5. AndroidSettings → Connections → WiFi
    6. iPhoneSettings → WiFi
    Is your APN is correctly set up? (Android)
    2. Steps to follow for configuring the APN can vary from one phone to another. Here's an example:
    3. Settings → Connections → Mobile networks → Access Point Names → APN
    5. Fizz APN settings are:
    • APN: mobile.bm
    • MMSC: http://mms.mobile.bm
    • MMS proxy: mmsproxy.mobile.bm
    • MMS port: 80
    • APN type: default,mms,supl   
    2. If your phone offers you a predetermined APN type, choose “Internet + MMS”
    3. Other fields should be filled by default; if empty, they are not mandatory.
    4. Some phone models use the term “Proxy server” instead of “MMS proxy”. 
    Does the phone choose the right network?
    1. IMPORTANT: Before beginning this process, make sure the SIM card is inserted in your phone. Otherwise, the Mobile networks menu will not be visible.
    2. The steps for enabling your phone to automatically choose a network vary depending on the type of phone. Here are two examples:
    3. AndroidSettings → Connections → Mobile networks → Network operators → Search networks → Automatic/Fizz
    4. iPhoneSettings → Operators → Automatic/Fizz
    5. The frequency band used may vary from one service provider to another. It’s possible that your phone is not able to connect to all available mobile networks.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,805 admin
    Answer ✓

Hello @js2x,

Thank you for the thread.

I verified your account and the travel-addon for USA appears in your account.

You can see it in your account at: My plans (don't go at usage - here it won't appear due the fact it's a travel add-on).

As for the usage, with Mobile data enabled, Roaming option ON it should work.

Since you have an iPhone, you don't have the option to manually set the APN, just make sure you have the latest iOS update and they will be correct.

Once you go in the settings of your phone at Cellular data -> Network (Operators) by disabling the Automatic mode your phone should start to search for other available network in USA (T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon).

All the manipulations for this situation can be found in this FAQ: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-travelling-outside-my-coverage-zone-what-are-my-roaming-options

If it still won't work, please contact us in private from this link: https://fizz.ca/en/support to make further verifications with you and if by any chances you can test the SIM in another phone, don't hesitate to do this to make sure the issue isn't coming from the phone.

I am counting on your understanding and I wish you a good day,

-Georgian

Answers

This discussion has been closed.