US: Data is working but calls going to voice mail

Gabriela R.
Gabriela R. Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2023 in My Mobile

I'm in D.C. and this is what I'm experiencing when connected to T-Mobile:

1) WhatsApp works for both messages and video calls;

2) I can call internationally as per my plan

3) I CANNOT receive calls (the signal is as strong as it gets). Calls are going straight to voice mail.

Is this expected to get resolved?

Thank you. I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,802 admin
    Answer ✓

Hello Gabriela R.!

I took a look into your account and noticed that you will need to wait until VoLTE is released so that you can make calls. However, given the current situation, I won't say no to following Jessy's steps. 

Another venue to look into is the one this thread mentions as it garnered positive feedback from users: https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/2640481/fizz-from-ottawa-to-florida-and-back

Have a good one Gabriela!
    -Paul 🖖

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

Hi @Gabriela R.

Try to check your network operator, try to switch to T-Mobile or ATT

The steps for enabling your phone to automatically choose a network vary depending on the type of phone. Here are two examples:

Android: Settings → Connections → Mobile networks → Network operators → Search networks → Automatic/Fizz

iPhone: Settings → Operators → Automatic/Fizz

Remember to set in automatic when you move back

1) This is using the data

2) Therefore, this means that your phone can makes calls in USA

3) This can be a problem with the phone registration on the network, a reboot or the operator trick can help

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭

@Gabriela R.

Why do some calls and texts when in the U.S. not work?

When will this issue be resolved?

Stay in touch without voice coverage.

As of July 2022, if you are travelling in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, only the LTE network is available. This means that until springtime 2023, calling may not be possible based on your situation.

When will this issue be resolved?
    1. All depends on your situation.
    3. > If you became a mobile member BEFORE March 16, 2022. 
    5. Calling will be possible again by spring 2023 when Fizz offers VoLTE on its own network. At that time, using a VoLTE certified phone updated with the latest software update and activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card will allow you to make calls when in the United States. 
    7. > If you became a mobile member ON or AFTER March 16, 2022.
    9. Your plan should already be activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card. If you are using a VoLTE-certified phone updated with the latest software update, calls and texts will work in the U.S. If it is not, you will only have access to your mobile data.
    10. See the list of certified phones
    11. https://fizz.ca/en/faq/compatible-devices#3
    Stay in touch without voice coverage.
    1. Here are a few options to make and receive voice or video calls and send and receive text messages: WhatsApp, Google Duo, Facetime and Messenger. 
    2. These apps use data and do not require voice coverage.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭

@Gabriela R.

If your plan was activated before March 16, 2022 in order to be able to use the phone calls, you need to force the phone to use the 2G, since, you are not using VoLTE and in the states they shutdown the majority of 3G callings

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,359 ✭✭

«  I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. »

Glad to see that

• sman
    sman Posts: 4,217 ✭✭

Try to us the T-Mobile network

This discussion has been closed.