It's Spring! Where is VOLTE? My partner and I NEED this for our USA trip

Stephen G. #32755
Stephen G. #32755 Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited March 2023 in My Mobile

Come on FIZZ, what on earth is taking so long? How hard can it be to implement VOLTE for your dedicated, long-term customers. You have apparently implemented it for all new customers. Don't your long-term customers matter? Even a brand new FIZZ-purchased phone with a new VOLTE SIM card doesn't seem to have VOLTE activated. What a crock!!

Why can't you give us a firm date? OR, why can't you activate VOLTE for people like myself and my partner, who will be going to the US in just seven weeks (MAY). Surely if you can have new customers on VOLTE you should be able to activate some more long-term customers, even if it's just a case-by-case basis. I'm sure many of your customers doing even know about or care about VOLTE if they don't need access to the USA networks.

Someone from FIZZ who can actually help should be responding to this post, in my opinion.

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,785 admin
    Answer ✓

Hello @Stephen G. #32755

We are still working on implementing the VoLTE services and we are approaching the full release period, everyone who is subscribed to our Mobile Service will be using VoLTE.

Stay tuned to our community posts and Social Media platforms for any further news!

I wish you have a great day.

-Florin

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

Hi @Stephen G. #32755

I read a Whizz answer today, where he said that they still working on it

From this post https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/comment/6681311#Comment_6681311

Hello there FizzyWizz !

We are still working on implementing the VoLTE services however we expect that in the following months, everyone who is subscribed to our Mobile Service will be using VoLTE.

Stay tuned to our community posts and Social Media platforms for any further news!

Have a wonderful day!

-Paul 🖖

• Stephen G. #32755

Still working on it? I think they must have ONE SINGLE PERSON, stuck in a back room someplace, mostly asleep or on break, working on it. There is no way in this day and age that it should take so long. Every US network changed over, most Canadian networks have VOLTE, including Videotron. FIZZ needs to get their act together.

I generally like FIZZ and have been mostly satisfied with the service and pricing but the uncertainty of having (or not having) US phone/text service within the next two months is very unsettling.

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    Sébastien code ZXEL1 Posts: 6,672 ✭✭

yes in the spring my when

• Derr
    Derr Posts: 5,355 ✭✭

Yeah that’s not cool…

• Jess_i88b6
    edited March 2023

@Stephen G. #32755

They should, at least, migrate all the users with the Canada/US Plan

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 4,531 ✭✭

Probably we need to wait a bit more. It seems they don't have a date yet as stated by @Whizz in this post:

https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/comment/6681311#Comment_6681311

Just out of curiosity, why do you need for your travel to the US specifically? How is VoLTE gonna be helpful?

• Stephen G. #32755

FizzyFizz, we specifically NEED telephone and text service. With the Canada/USA plan you get your data usage however once in the USA 3G phone services DO NOT work. We know this from our August USA trip. No phone calls, no texts. Only VOLTE is available in the USA. It is impossible to do banking, pay bills, etc., these days without access to text services due to two-factor authentication.

It's ridiculous that FIZZ cannot provide phone/text services in the US but every other Canadian carrier can since they have VOLTE

• Jess_i88b6
    edited March 2023

@Stephen G. #32755

I have a close friend who is in a similar situation. He has been with Fizz from the beginning and always had the Canada/USA plan. However, now that he is in the United States, he is only able to use data and cannot even access 2G. I believe Fizz should migrate at least those with the Canada/USA plan to the VoLTE to let them use correctly their plan.

Fizz, please revise your migration road map, migrating the users with the Canada/USA plan, if they have the Canada/USA plan, probably there is a reason.

• Sébastien code ZXEL1

all the other companies have gone from 3g to la4g and lte just with the lte sim card and it was instantaneous where is the problem with fizz

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,785 admin

Hello Jessy_ref_i88b6!

Much appreciated for your input on the matter! We will take it into consideration for when VoLTE is released and see if we can hasten the implementation of our members with the Canada+USA coverage on their plans. 

Have a good one!
    -Paul  🖖

• Chickencoop
    Chickencoop Posts: 60 ✭✭

Can someone explain to me what is VOLTE, I have not heard about it, but I already want it XD

• Jess_i88b6
    edited March 2023

Fizz started with 4G, but now the problem is migrating to VoLTE technology, which uses a different approach for voice calls. This technology increases voice quality (HD voice) and can improve the use of resources. The issue is unclear; it could be the cost of infrastructure, the time required for training, man power, the learning curve with this technology, or the fact that only a portion of users have switched their SIM cards, or none of the above. Additionally, there may be an issue with obtaining SIM cards for all other users. However, from the user's perspective, we should have this technology, at least for users with a Canada/USA plan.

Great, since if you migrate a user with the Quebec plan, he will not see the difference

• Jess_i88b6
    edited March 2023

VoLTE is a new technology that aims to improve voice quality while optimizing the use of network resources.

In my opinion, I don't want to create false expectations about it, as it should lead to the VoWiFi, which refers to calls made over a Wi-Fi network.

Here you will find the guide: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-volte-important

• Derr

Thanks for the info

• Sébastien code ZXEL1
    edited March 2023

votle for its release in 2017 in canada if you have them bell Roger and company you have known

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/11/13/canada-volte-guide/

• Derr

Ok thanks sebastien

• FizzyFizz JQMPM

Oh I didn't know that. That's crazy! So you can use only wifi and data on LTE in the usa as of now. Is it correct?

You can't make calls and send texts because they usually go on 3G frequencies and those aren't active anymore in the USA.

• Stephen G. #32755

That is correct, unfortunately. Phone calls and text have been "impossible" since July while traveling in the States. It was so frustrating and inconvenient during our August trip. It's ridiculous that even with the Canada/USA plan you cannot make or receive calls or texts in the US without VOLTE and FIZZ is ridiculously slow in implementing VOLTE for its dedicated, long-term customers. My partner's brand-new Pixel 7 should be VOLTE activated (but isn't) and my Samsung S10e has been VOLTE-certified by Videotron but not by FIZZ and even if it were it hasn't been VOLTE activated. I guess we go through yet another frustrating US trip without phone/text service.

Unless, maybe FIZZ gets things working for everyone, or at least those with Canada/USA coverage, by sometime in May? I'm hoping.

• Stephen G. #32755

I'm happy to hear we are approaching the "full release period" however that doesn't make me feel more comfortable that my partner and I will both actually have phone and text service in the USA by mid-May. Do you have a date? Is there any way to get specific account activated a bit earlier or assurance that VOLTE phone/text will be available by mid-May? We really don't want another trip to the USA without phone service but especially without texts (needed for banking, paying bills, etc.)

• FizzyFizz JQMPM

Yeah mid-May is quite close! I wouldn't swear on it honestly, sorry...

• FizzyFizz JQMPM

Another user (@kokoboko) in another post mentioned that was able to make calls in the US by switching to the 2g connection. Probably he/she can chime in to share his/her experience in details.

This discussion has been closed.