Modem Rebooting Regularly

fizzling
fizzling Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Internet

I am currently experiencing random modem reboots. It would often be once a week then once every odd day then once every 5-6 hours. If I factory reset my modem, the reboots would stop for around a week and then it would start again, once every odd day and then once every 5-6 hours. I already tried the usual troubleshooting: change cables, change connectors, change power plugs, put the modem in bridge mode, use the modem by itself, try other power outlets, try with and without powerstrip/power bar, etc. But once the modem starts rebooting, it would behave like above until I do a factory reset. I spoke to support and had technicians come on 2 occasions and they said pretty much the same thing. They see lots of errors so they change the modem, reinstall connectors (that coaxial cable is going to be too short if this continues), check the wires outside and inside, and conclude that everything is fine. However, the modem would run fine and then it would start acting up after around a week.

Before joining Fizz, I was with another reseller of videotron cable on a similar plan 120mbps/30mbps for around a year and I never had these types of interruptions or modem reboots. In fact, when I switched to Fizz, the only thing that changed was the modem. Have anyone encountered and solved this problem?

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,802 admin
    Answer ✓

Hello fizzling,

I am sorry to hear about this situation.
    I can see that you already contacted our support team.
    We already asked the necessary questions in order to send a technician over.  
    Please continue the conversation with our support.

Have a good one,
    -Alex

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭

Hi @fizzling

I believe that you did everything from your side, you should contact the support to see if they have other manipulation to suggest before recognize that the modem has some problem.

You can chat in direct

• Sign into your account

• Follow the link on this page: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-unable-log-my-fizz-account-what-do-i-do

• Wait 3 seconds for the green bubble with a '❔' appears at the bottom right of the browser, if you use a phone you must use it in desktop or horizontal mode

• Choose the option 💬 chat

• If the green bubble does not appear make sure your ad blocker is disabled, otherwise try with another browser.

Other means of contact

• Whatsapp: (438) 393-5814

• By private message on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fizzca/

• fizzling

Unfortunately, it defaulted to "we will send a technician". There was no indication that they would ensure the technician would do anything different. Consequently, I don't really see the value in this if they are repeating the same steps as the previous one. Has anyone encountered an obscure problem like mine that was solved with something other than changing the modems, the cables or the connectors? A setting or a configuration in my line or my profile?

• Mamie
    Mamie Posts: 1,784 ✭✭

@fizzling

Hi, unfortunately there is nothing you can do for this kind of problem from your account. There have been a few subscribers recently who have the same issue. Is it in the same industry as you? We don't know that here on the public forum. You mention that the exterior and interior cables have been checked, are these the cables outside the apartment/building really outside? There are other technicians who have access to these outside cables, it seems. Maybe point it out to Fizz and the tech could check outside, near the street?

Hope your problem will be solved very soon.

• fizzling

Both technicians checked the cables both inside and outside the house including the one that goes to the hydro pole.

I don't know what you meant by "Is it in the same industry as you?"

• Mamie
    Mamie Posts: 1,784 ✭✭

@fizzling

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough. I meant, in the same area? But that doesn't change your problem if it's an individual situation.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭

Hi @fizzling

if the modem is rebooting, I don't see why they say that it is a problem with the signal.

If the modem has problems, this can also lead to a wrong reading regarding the signal

Do you know some family member with Videotron? You can try connecting the modem to their cable to see if you still have problems. I know this is extreme

• fizzling

Sadly, I don't know anyone using Fizz with whom I can swap modems. I still have the old modem from my previous provider, which never had a problem like I currently do, but it doesn't work with fizz.

This discussion has been closed.