Samsung A53 dropping calls

AndiV
AndiV Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited October 2022 in Phones

I trashed my Moto G Power 2021 and got a Samsung A53. I am pretty happy with it except the fact that it drops calls when I am moving position from which the call started. If I am on the coach and move to the kitchen, it drops; if I am on the deck and come inside the house, drops. We are talking about a few meters - and phone signal is okay. I looked for Wi-Fi Calling (to disable/enable it) and for whatever I could find. Can somebody help? Maybe tell me how to troubleshoot such behaviour?

Best Answers

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓

@AndiV

If Jessy_ref_i88b6 suggestion doesn't work, you may be in an area where the usual Fizz 3G frequency band is unstable, and you could try FizzExt.

Goto SETTINGS>>CONNECTIONS>>MOBILE NETWORKS >>NETWORK OPERATORS

Tap on the Network Operators box to launch a network search, and choose a FizzExt link that connects (there may be more than 1).

Try and see if this connection is more reliable for your calls. Try to use that connection sparingly as Fizz has to be your main network connection. Use it when you want to make a call, and don't want any disruptions.

As you probably know, calls still use 3G networks. Fizz mainly uses 1700Mhz frequency band for 3G, but some FizzExt operators use a 850Mhz band. Lower frequency bands are generally more stable, especially indoors, than higher frequency bands.

• Louis-Mathieu A.
    Louis-Mathieu A. Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Had the same problem qith my A53. Had it checked by Samsung and it was working properly. Tried my sim card in other phones and it was just fine. Tried other Fizz sim cards in the A53 and it kept dropping calls. I changed providers for my A53 and it works perfectly. The problem comes from Fizz. They wanted me to note all the calls that are dropped in extensive details but it was just easier to go to another provider.

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭
    edited September 2022

Hi @AndiV

Do you have the network operator in automatic?

The steps for enabling your device to automatically select a network varies depending on the type of phone. Here are two examples:

Android: Settings → Connections → Mobile networks → Network operators → Search networks → Automatic/Fizz

I will try to follow this guide https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-can-i-do-if-mobile-network-coverage-is-weak-or-inaccessible

You can chat in direct

• Sign into your account

• Follow the link on this page: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-unable-log-my-fizz-account-what-do-i-do

• Wait 3 seconds for the green bubble with a '❔' appears at the bottom right of the browser, if you use a phone you must use it in desktop or horizontal mode

• Choose the option 💬 chat

• If the green bubble does not appear make sure your ad blocker is disabled, otherwise try with another browser.

Other means of contact

• Whatsapp: (438) 393-5814

• By private message on Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/fizz_ca

• By private message on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fizzca/

• AndiV

Yes. It finds the correct one - FIZZ. Should I switch it off?

• AndiV

If I switch it off, I shows me the selection - 2x FIZZ and 4x FIZZ EXT (very explicit :) )

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 12,942 ✭✭

No you need to see in automatic

The steps for enabling your device to automatically select a network varies depending on the type of phone. Here are two examples:

Android: Settings → Connections → Mobile networks → Network operators → Search networks → Automatic/Fizz

I will try to follow this guide https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-can-i-do-if-mobile-network-coverage-is-weak-or-inaccessible

• AndiV

Thanks. Will try that but Fizz says that this will be abuse of their conditions of use. I am starting to think that it might be a hardware issue. Will try to see if it repeats on Whatsapp/Facetime, not only on voice,

• ah727

@AndiV

It's probably a hardware issue.

But using FizzExt is allowed, as long as you use Fizz most of the time.

• BEBE
    BEBE Posts: 128 ✭✭

check the network to be on automatic and also network type to be on LTE or 4G. switch if it still drops to 3G. see if there is any difference.

• AndiV

Since I got it from Costco, I can still take it back and probably will. I just hate that I will have to reconfigure it, uninstall Samsung bloatware again etc.

• BEBE

i would return it .....and wait for a sale ....

• AndiV

This is what I did - I requested an exchange. Normally I would have purchased another one and return this but... since 2 weeks ago, the price at Costco went up by... drum-roll... 162$. Yes, you read right - I paid 427$+tx but now it is 589$. So I had to spend time calling costco.ca and I got a replacement.

• BEBE

excellent ! enjoy it ! its an awesome phone..

• AndiV

I think you might be right. I replaced the hardware, thinking it is troublesome, but the problem remain - many dropped calls.

• ah727

@AndiV

Try network mode WCDMA/GSM on Fizz or FizzExt, whichever works best.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,800 admin

Hello @AndiV ,

First of all, thank you for being a Fizz member.

If the issue remains the same after testing in all Fizz/ Fizz Ext networks even after you replaced the hardware, please verify the services into a different phone to see if there everything will work properly.

Either way (if it will work or not in other phone) you can contact us anytime in private as we are online 24/7 and keep us informed.

You can find all the ways to contact us from this link: https://fizz.ca/en/support

We will do our best to help you, however if the issue is indeed from the phone, there won't be much that we are able to do. Make sure there isn't any software update needed to be made on the phone.

I am counting on your understanding and we will wait for you in private.

Have a great day,

-Georgian

This discussion has been closed.