Wifi cutting in and out

Options
Dot
Dot Posts: 3 ✭✭

My wifi keeps cutting in and out. I know it's not a problem with my device since it worked well with other networks. I got a wifi extender incase it was too far away and that didn't fix the problem. I've restarted the router many times and it doesn't fix it. What else can I try before calling a technician?

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,102 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello Dot,

I am sorry to hear about this situation.
    I have verified your connection and from my side, everything is looking ok.  
    I can see that you also contacted our support team and some manipulations were provided.
    Please make sure to try them and reply to our team after, if you don't see any improvements. 

I would also recommend disabling the guest network as it can slow your main one. 
    You can also try disabling the band steering, this way you can manually connect each device to the preferred band.
    Here you can find more information about this at point 4: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-wi-fi-network-cutting-how-do-i-fix-it

Have a lovely day,
    -Alex

Answers

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,757 ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi Dot

Try restarting your modem.

Can you try your device on the same room as the modem without using your wifi extender?

Even better, can you try connecting a computer directly to the modem via ethernet cable?

You can also try a factory reset of your modem, thus resetting the modem to factory conditions, by pressing and holding in the small button on the back of the box with a paper clip for 10+ seconds. Then wait 3-4 minutes before trying. You will have to re-enter the codes shown on the modem initially.

If the problem continues, you can contact Fizz customer service by opening this link: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/resolving-issues and simply scroll down until you see the green bubble, then click on it to start your chat session with Fizz customer service.

They will surely be able to help you.

You can also do it on Facebook: https://facebook.com/fizzca

-By private message on Twitter : https://mobile.twitter.com/fizz_ca

-Whatsapp : (438) 393-5814

• MyriamC
    MyriamC Posts: 920 ✭✭
    Options
    Take note of the various sources of attenuation of your Wi-Fi signal
    1. The waves in your Wi-Fi network may be attenuated by various obstacles and sources of interference, causing decreases in speed and partial or complete disconnections of your internet connection.
    3. Sources of interference include:
    • Nearby Wi-Fi networks
    • Surveillance cameras
    • Baby monitors
    • Microwave ovens
    • Etc.
    2. Obstacles to Wi-Fi waves include:
    • Construction materials (concrete, aluminum, etc.)
    • Heated flooring
    • Mirrors
    • Windows
    • Etc.
    2. Recommendation: If you are unable to change your environment to limit sources of Wi-Fi signal attenuation, it would be better to use a network cable (RJ45).

3. A cable is included in the original box of your Fizz Wi-Fi modem.
    Restart your Wi-Fi modem
    2. Unplug the power cable on your Wi-Fi modem.
    3. Make sure all the lights on the modem are off once you have unplugged it.
    4. Wait ten (10) seconds.
    5. Plug your modem back into the electrical outlet. Expect a three (3) minute delay to allow your devices to reconnect to the Wi-Fi network.
    7. It is more effective to restart your Wi-Fi modem by unplugging its power cable instead of pressing its power button.
    Consider adjusting your Fizz Home Internet plan to better meet your needs
    1. Which speed should I choose?
    2. Here are some examples of average usage:
    2. Note: The speeds above occur when the wireless connection is optimal, without interference or congestion.

3. Multiple users or devices share your internet connection’s bandwidth.

4. Some of the devices connected to the wired or Wi-Fi network could also be using bandwidth in the background.
    Test each of the two (2) frequency bands of your Wi-Fi modem
    1. Your Fizz Wi-Fi modem uses by default the to frequency band steering technology. When this function is disabled, the Wi-Fi modem will display two (2) frequency bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. 

The modification of this option is possible thanks to the mobile application Fizz Wi-Fi:

1. Choose: ''My Wi-Fi''
    2. Select your Wi-Fi network
    3. Select: ''Advanced Settings''
    4. Band Steering ''On/Off''
    6.  The Fizz Wi-Fi app is available for free at various online stores (Apple Store and Google Play Store).

This change can also be applied through the Wi-Fi modem user interface:

1. 1. Log in at: 192.168.0.1 from the web browser of any device.
    2. 2. Log in using the following information:
    3. Username: cusadmin
    4. Password: xxxxxxxx (Password you chose during initial setup)
    6. 3. Go to the next section to apply changes:
    7. Wireless → General Settings → 5GHz → Band Steering (Disable)
    9. If you do not remember the password you entered during setup, press and hold the "Reset" button behind the modem to reset your Wi-Fi modem back to its factory settings.
    Try manually selecting different Wi-Fi channels on your modem
    1. A series of channels are available on each frequency (2.4 and 5 GHz) of your Wi-Fi modem. Interference can have an impact on these channels.
    2. Manually changing the channels used for your Wi-Fi connection can improve your modem’s signal. 

3. There are two ways to manually change Wi-Fi channels.

4. Option 1: With the Fizz Wi-Fi app.

5. 1. Once in the app, choose My Wi-Fi.
    6. 2. Select your Wi-Fi network.
    7. 3. Select Advanced settings.
    8. 4. You’ll see Wi-Fi 2.4 and Wi-Fi 5. Select a different channel for each frequency.
    9. Choose a channel that’s far from the one your modem currently uses, and test it for a few days to see whether things improve or not. Ex. Go from channel 6 to 11. Or, from channel 6 to 1.

10. Option 2: With a browser.

11. 1. Connect to your Wi-Fi network. 
    12. 2. Open the browser on any device, and enter the address 192.168.0.1
    13. 3. Log in using these credentials:
    • Username: cusadmin
    • Password: (Enter your password, the one you chose when you initially configured your network)
    2. 4. In the green bar, select Wireless.
    3. 5. Then select:
    • General settings
    • 5 GHz and/or 2.4 GHz
    • Wireless channel
    2. 6. Select a different channel.
    3. Choose a channel that’s far from the one 
    4. your modem currently uses, and test it for a few days to see whether things improve or not. Ex. Go from channel 6 to 11. Or, from channel 6 to 1.
    Temporarily turn off all other devices that are using your Wi-Fi network
    1. For testing purposes, leave only one device connected to your Wi-Fi network.

2. If possible, perform a test with a different device to ensure that the issue is not caused by the initial test device used.
    Reset your Wi-Fi modem to its factory settings
    1. IMPORTANT: This will reset any changes that have been made to your Wi-Fi modem settings to date. You may also need to reconfigure your devices’ Wi-Fi settings (network name, password, etc.).
    3. Using a small, sharp object, press the modem’s reset button for 10 seconds.
    4. Once your modem has restarted, follow the same instructions you used when you initially installed it.
    6. Reminder: The default username (Default Wi-Fi network) and password (Default key) for your Wi-Fi network are written on a sticker on the back of your Wi-Fi modem.

This discussion has been closed.