Phone will not connect to 5ghz band.

blix
blix Posts: 12 ✭✭

Hi, I have a Samsung s9, and have both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands enabled on the Fizz router. No matter how many times I try to force my phone to connect to the 5 ghz band, it fails and goes back to the 2.4 ghz band.

I have a chromecast and it is connected to the 5 ghz no problem. Is this a specific problem for this phone?

Any ideas?

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,809 admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @blix,

Please try to be within close proximity of the modem to be able to maintain the connection to the 5Ghz bandwidth as that broadcast wave, while it is stronger, it doesn't reach distances as far as the 2.4Ghz does.

Thank you for your consideration.

Have a good one!

Andrei 

Answers

• MyriamC
    MyriamC Posts: 920 ✭✭

Does it automatically assign the 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz ? Did you disable the automatic assignment on the router ? Are you sure the password is OK for the 5 Ghz ?

• blix
    blix Posts: 12 ✭✭

No I have band steering turned off, and I try to manually select the 5 ghz band. it will connect, and then disconnect because it says the internet connection is unstable.

I googled information about it and I think it is an issue with the phone. I guess I am stuck with the 2.4 ghz band until I get a new phone :D

• vanigh
    vanigh Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hello Blix

I have a Samsung s9 it connects to 5ghz without any problems, in fact your s9 is a very good cell phone, i think the problem is the supplied modem/router, i use my own router, it's more reliable.

This discussion has been closed.