With Newer Smartphones Can you still Send SMS messages

Aaron T. #7761
Aaron T. #7761 Posts: 62 ✭✭

My Plan includes Unlimited SMS messages, and my phone is set to send by SMS.

But the otherday when I had a DATA outage, i couldn't even send a text message to my wife.

As best as I know how I have my old Iphone set to send SMS, Imessages turn OFF ans MMS also turned on.

But for some reason I cant seem to recived Pictures unless I have data and aperantly not even basic SMSs .

Looking to buy a new smart phone thru Fizz , but is SMS dead in smart phones? or is it a FIZZ issue?

Aaron

Best Answer

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

And for the record, SMS is free to receive.

So ask a friend to send you an SMS to check if it works. If you do not receive it, there is a different issue.

If that passes, but still cannot send a plain text SMS (or it's not received), then check your phone settings, APN, remove-replace your SIM card.

Finally, SMS is meant to be replaced with an enhanced protocol called RCS for Android. Look it up at: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/whats-rcs-messaging-android-phones . There are debates around it and iMessage. In the end I always suggest something a bit platform independent and stronger like Signal or Element but adoption is not there yet. All those, I believe, requires data plans.

Answers

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    edited March 2021

Not a Fizz issue.

MMS uses the data plan. When you send picture over SMS it is first switching to the MMS protocol.

You cannot send anything other than text in SMS.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,805 admin

Hello Aaron T. #7761,

I am sorry to hear about the situation you encountered. 
    As Idefizz said, texts that contain images are converted to multimedia text and they require mobile data. 
    If you are not able to receive regular texts, please make sure the sender (if he is using an iPhone) has the iMessage turned off also. 
    If this is not the case please contact our support team for further assistance: https://fizz.ca/en/contact-us

Have a great day,
    Alex 

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,805 admin

Hello Aaron T. #7761,

I am sorry to hear about the situation you encountered. 
    As Idefizz said, texts that contain images are converted to multimedia text and they require mobile data. 
    If you are not able to receive regular texts, please make sure the sender (if he is using an iPhone) has the iMessage turned off also. 
    If this is not the case please contact our support team for further assistance: https://fizz.ca/en/contact-us

Have a great day,
    Alex 

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭

Picture always need data for every carrier its normal. No SMS is not dead but to be honest i dont use SMS anymore its so more convinent to chat on Facebook Messenger, Twitter, ect.

Have a nice day :)

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭

Every phone can receive and send normal text messages! It’s one of the core functions of phones. However, you tried to send an MMS, which requires data.

This discussion has been closed.