Can I buy two phones?

Options
Rachel T. #8181
Rachel T. #8181 Posts: 15 ✭✭

I already have a sim-only plan with Fizz but I like the look of some of the phones. I would like to be able to use two handsets - a cheap one when I am doing things (like sports) where my phone might break, and a better one when I want to do more or take good photos etc. Can I buy two phones from Fizz if I only have one plan? Thanks!

Best Answer

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You make me work now 😋 But it's a good question though.

When there is a rebate, which is not for every phone btw, the rebate is linked to the phone at the time of its purchase but engages you to keep the mobile plan you assign it to for 12 months. Once the purchase is done it would make no sense to oblige you to keep the SIM car in the purchased phone (say the phone breaks?). So what is important to Fizz, IMHO, is that you keep the associated mobile plan active for 12 months (read SIM card).

The fine prints when a rebate is offered:

This limited-time offer consists of applying the promotional rebate indicated on the suggested retail price of the phone in question. The rebate is conditional on (i) maintaining for an uninterrupted period of 12 months a Fizz mobile plan that is already active at the time of the phone’s purchase or (ii) activating a Fizz mobile plan within 7 days of receiving the phone in question (for members who do not already have an active Fizz mobile plan) and maintaining it for 12 months. If either condition is not met, you will be required to refund the prorated portion of the promotional rebate corresponding to the number of months remaining in the initial 12-month term.

Now when you go through the purchase wizard for a phone having a rebate, it asks you if you want to assign it to an existing plan (read "SIM card") or a new plan (which will ask you to define the new plan's properties (GB, minutes, SMS, ...).

Observe that it says you CAN use it with an existing plan (not MUST, so you can sim swap it with another phone) but this wizard step is to target which plan will require to be active for the next 12 months (or you'll pay the difference).

This phone has no rebate:

This phone has a rebate:

I could obviously be mistaken since it's getting late, but I'd bet 50 points on it 😁

PS: note that there is a bug that sometimes make you believe you have no choice but to purchase a phone with a new plan. It was a browser/session related issue. See this French thread : https://forum.fizz.ca/fr/discussion/comment/6563630#Comment_6563630

I hope this answers the question.

Answers

• Idefizz
    Options

Yes but you can only have one SIM card per mobile plan.

So you'll have to put the SIM in the phone you want to use.

• Rachel T. #8181
    Options

Thanks Idefizz. Yes, should have specified that I would be swapping the SIM between the phones as needed. It's just I know the phones need to be linked to a plan, so I wondered if it is possible to have two phones linked to one plan, or if there was something in the T&Cs saying one phone per plan (I guess with other operators when you're getting a phone on a tab you can only have one phone). So I could definitely buy two phones?

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options

Are you sure ? Rebate on phone give you a contract for 12 month on your plan so i dont thnik you can buy more than one phone with one plan in this period exept if you take phone full price.

If you have link on that i will love to have confirmation.

• i mean if you want to buy the two cellphone on Fizz store
  • Idefizz
    Options

I've composed yet another detailed reply but got the following:

Getting tired of that kind of message landing in Area 51 👽️. No way to plea my case, even if it's to encourage Fizz phone purchase. 🙃

Short story: yes I still believe you can buy 2 Fizz phones for a plan no matter rebates. See yesterday's thread for a partial info: https://forum.fizz.ca/fr/discussion/comment/6563680#Comment_6563680

• Dgjf
    Options

When i receive my cellphone i think i will try to order the cheap lg at 124 just to see if its possible :)

Sad for the moderated answer its weird you seem to get a lot of answer in the black hole.

• Idefizz
    Options

It finally showed up. I can only guess that I tend to re-edit too many times and/or too rapidly. Also I put sometimes keywords that could participate in flagging the post. The frustration comes from not recognizing those signals nor the mod rules.

Enjoy the read.

• Rachel T. #8181
    Options

I really appreciate the detailed discussion and especially the long reply @Idefizz. Glad it showed up in the end! I haven't quite decided whether I can afford two phones but I will update this thread if I do 😊

• Dgjf
    Options

Thanks for the long explaination it seem right.

For the moderation rule maybe, one day, Fizz will tell all rule in a post.

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Options

The moderation rule is always a bit oblivious, even to me.

As for the question, @Idefizz explained it well

This discussion has been closed.