Wifi Slowed Down - Nothing has fixed it

Options
Elias
Elias Posts: 2 ✭✭

My internet speed has dropped significantly about a week ago and has stayed at that speed since. I have the 120 mbps service and I used to get download speeds on Steam of around 17 mbps and now they can barely reach 4 mbps. Speeds across all of my devices have been affected.

I have tried unplugging my router, resetting it with the button and the hole in the back, changing the settings, and changing the position of the devices in different places around my apartment. Nothing has worked. I even moved my PC to be next to the router and plugging it directly through an ethernet cable. The speed stays the same.

What other steps can I do? At this point I think that the only way to get back my old speed would be to replace the router.

Thank you for your replies.

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,363 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello Elias,

Apologies for the encountered issue.

I have verified the signals of your modem and they are all within our functioning ranges, but checking the connection between the Fizz modem/router and your devices, I see that there are a few issues with the connectivity.

Do you have any electrical devices near the modem that could interfere with it's signals, such as a TV? If yes, please, move them away to have at least 2 meters distance between them.

After that, there are a few more issues with the connection and the tool suggests a factory reset. Please perform one by holding the button on modem's back pressed for 30 seconds. The button is located above the yellow Ethernet sockets. After all this, please test out again through both wi-fi and Ethernet.

If you are still having issues, please reach us by chat to verify further with you using the link bellow.

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/none-my-devices-can-access-internet-wi-fi-or-using-cable-how-do-i-fix-it

Thank you for your understanding.

Have a good day.

Catalin

Answers

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Options

Impressive, you have done a lot of the useful troubleshooting tips as detailed in the page https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-wi-fi-network-slow-how-do-i-make-it-faster

Are you using your own router mixed with Fizz' modem as a bridge, or are you using Fizz' device as a modem+wifi ?

By the look of it, other tips that pop in mind :

• there is work/maintenance/trouble in your neighborhood. For that chat with Fizz for information.
    • the modem (not the wifi) is somehow defective in receiving from the provider. For that, again, you need to chat with fizz as they can diagnose it remotely in details.
    • the coaxial cable may be damaged, check it out
    • during the factory reset, did you press the tiny reset button for about 20 seconds?
    • have you tried rebooting the modem by both pulling its coaxial and power cables, for at least 30 seconds?
    • Have you tried disabling band-steering in the router? Maybe you PC's network card has problem dealing with it.
    • can you try an Ethernet cable? Just to be sure it is really jsut a wifi issue.

• Elias
    Options

Hi there!

What is the best way to get in contact with Fizz directly? I've tried to reach out to them through Messenger but they never got back to me.

I did maintain the button for arounds 20 seconds during the factory reset.

The coaxial cable does not seem to be broken.

I have disabled band-steering and both the regular connection and the 5G connection perform poorly with the 5G performing below the 2.4G.

I have tried connecting it with an ethernet cable, but my computer says that there is no internet connection coming through the cable. When I plug in the cable in the router the orange LED lights up, instead of the green one. I have tried two different cables on all four ethernet ports on the modem. None of them work.

Thanks!

• Elias
    Options

Hi there!

What is the best way to get in contact with Fizz directly? I've tried to reach out to them through Messenger but they never got back to me.

I did maintain the button for arounds 20 seconds during the factory reset.

The coaxial cable does not seem to be broken.

I have disabled band-steering and both the regular connection and the 5G connection perform poorly with the 5G performing below the 2.4G.

I have tried connecting it with an ethernet cable, but my computer says that there is no internet connection coming through the cable. When I plug in the cable in the router the orange LED lights up, instead of the green one. I have tried two different cables on all four ethernet ports on the modem. None of them work.

Thanks!

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Options

To chat with Fizz is, to me, the fastest way:

1. Go to a FAQ page e.g. https://fizz.ca/en/faq/status-services
    2. Look bottom right for the big green question mark (?)
    3. Click it, a bubble will appear
    4. Submit your question with possibly a relevant screenshot or modem photo
    5. After that will be displayed the number of customers preceding you, to manage your expectations. Updated real time.

Facebook Messenger is seen by many as a very good way too; sorry it did not work out for you. Other alternatives are iMessage or Twitter private. The advantages of Fizz' tool are the management of waiting times and the ability to print (e.e. PDF) a copy of the conversation for your records.

This discussion has been closed.