How do some people have so much data to gift?

Wolframium42
Wolframium42 Posts: 104 ✭✭

I'm continually amazed by the huge amounts of data that are constantly being gifted back and forth. I'm always happy to receive, but I'm pretty frugal, so I run a data plan that has the absolute minimum that I need. How are so many people able to be constantly gifting so much? Are there older plans that had more data for super cheap that you're still holding on to? You can't gift data once it's been gifted, so where is it coming from?

Best Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Wolframium42

Probably they have a 75GB data plan? and if you use only 30 or 50 Gb, you endup with a huge rollover

• Neirin
    Neirin Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

It partly depends on your approach to data, money and community. I have a 10GB plan, even though my average monthly usage is only 1-3GB. When I set up my current plan, the difference between 10GB and a smaller package was really small ($1/month). So I took the slightly bigger package, which gives me coverage for the odd time I use a lot of data (like on a road trip with friends - finding cool attractions/restaurants along the way and streaming karaoke songs uses a lot!).

In the months that I won't use a lot, I could drop my package down, but why? First, packages are changing all the time, and I won't always be able to get the same deal I had when I try to boost my package again. Second, I'm lucky enough that $1/month isn't a point of stress for me, but I know it is for some people. In my low-usage months, I can keep my package, and share it with people who don't have the extra money that month.

I usually give away 2-3GB per month on the forum, I might share 1-2GB with real life friends who need it, and I let the rest roll over. When the big months hit, I have 20-25GB stocked up for fun. In the little months, my extra data helps out people who need it. In either type of month, I think it's worth $1.

Answers