Is 75-90 high ping for work from home setup?

Kishen
Kishen Posts: 10 ✭✭

Hello, for context i have WFH setup in Montreal connecting to LA machine. I stream media content for work and i can't afford too much lag. I have good up and down speeds but ping ranges from 70-100. Might this be the reason for the lag?

I have tp link Archer AX5400 on bridge mode with Fizz modem. Not sure if i have to change any setting in that. I tried restart, reset and firmware updates with no improvement. Any help is appreciated. Thank you! 🙂

https://www.speedtest.net/result/16809251959.png

Answers

• wenhan
    wenhan Posts: 889 ✭✭

try testing on ethernet

• ablabla
    ablabla Posts: 272 ✭✭

It sounds like you're experiencing higher latency (ping) which can cause the lag, especially when you're streaming media content and working remotely with a machine in Los Angeles. While your speeds (download/upload) look great, latency is critical when it comes to remote connections and streaming. A ping of 70-100 ms is fairly high for tasks that require real-time interactions.

Here are a few suggestions to help troubleshoot and potentially reduce your ping:

1. Wired vs. Wireless

• If you are currently using Wi-Fi, try switching to a wired connection (Ethernet) between your device and your TP-Link Archer AX5400. A wired connection is more stable and can reduce latency significantly.

2. Bridge Mode Considerations

• Since you're using the Fizz modem in bridge mode with the TP-Link Archer AX5400, ensure that your network setup is optimal. When using bridge mode, the modem should only pass the connection to your router, which should handle all routing functions. Sometimes, having multiple devices handling network tasks can introduce delays. Double-check that your TP-Link router is indeed managing all the traffic properly without interference from the Fizz modem.

3. Quality of Service (QoS) Settings

• Check your router's QoS (Quality of Service) settings. This feature allows you to prioritize certain types of traffic (like your work-related traffic) over others. By prioritizing media streaming or remote desktop connections, you may reduce lag for your work tasks.

On the TP-Link Archer AX5400:

• Go to the TP-Link web interface (usually http://tplinkwifi.net or a similar address).
    • Look for QoS or Traffic Control under the settings.
    • Set up a custom rule to prioritize streaming, remote work, or the device you're using to connect to LA.

4. Change DNS Settings

• Sometimes, changing your DNS settings can improve the response time when accessing remote servers. You can try switching to a faster DNS server like Google DNS (8.8.8.88.8.4.4) or Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1).

5. Optimize Network Devices

• Ensure there are no other devices on your network consuming bandwidth that could interfere with your work-related traffic. Other devices streaming content or downloading files can increase your ping.

6. ISP Routing

• Since your remote machine is located in Los Angeles, some latency is expected due to the distance. However, your ISP's routing can also play a role in how much lag you're experiencing. You may want to contact Fizz and inquire if they have an optimized route for connecting to servers in LA. They might be able to suggest something or help troubleshoot from their end.

7. Use a VPN

• Sometimes, using a VPN with servers located near your remote machine (in LA) can reduce latency by optimizing the routing path. However, VPNs can also increase latency in some cases, so it's worth testing.

• Kishen
    edited September 27
  • ablabla
    ablabla Posts: 272 ✭✭
  • Drividor
    Drividor Posts: 380 ✭✭

Try to use your Fizz modem direct without bridge mode to know if your router is doing your high ping

• Kishen

I need bridge mode for chromecast/samsung tv. tplink modem gave a big difference with speed.
    I won't be able to use my modem anymore right?

• G225 code IRSGE
    G225 code IRSGE Posts: 1,821 ✭✭
    edited September 27

Modem is for Internet and router for Wifi. If you use Tp Link, the router of your modem is desabled.

Test speed with ethernet and if your speed too slow ask to Fizz check signal.

Contact us | Fizz or @Whizz

• M T. #12340
    M T. #12340 Posts: 715 ✭✭

70 ms and + is normal from Montreal ( https://wondernetwork.com/pings/Los%20Angeles/Montreal )