Still connecting to FIZZ EXT

GreekFire
GreekFire Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited July 10 in My Mobile
Hi,

Under the coverage map my home address clearly shows within Fizz's subscription area. It's a smaller town. We are still connecting to FIZZ EXT. When I travel to a larger city for work, I'm connected to FIZZ.

Is this expected? Does this violate the rule of not spending more time on FIZZ EXT? All my locations for the past month have been within the subscription zone.

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 22,753 admin
    Answer ✓

Hello GreekFire,
    Thank you for your post. 
    I kindly wish to inform you that, as long you are in the subscription zone there should not be an issue if your phone displays Fizz EXT.
    Probably you are in an area where we are using mostly the partners networks however, in order to receive an exact answer regarding this, please contact our customer service agents. 
    To do that, you can access this link: https://fizz.ca/en/support 
    Please note that for the moment there is an increased number of contacts therefore it is possible that the waiting time will be higher than expected even if our agents are working constantly. 
    Have a great day. 
    -Lavinia, Community Moderator 

Answers

• jvh_NVPF2
    jvh_NVPF2 Posts: 797 ✭✭

The rule is 3 months of majority (50% or more) consecutive usage on partner networks but isn't enforced often.

It shouldn't be an issue but you can always contact support about it proactively.

You most likely have a weak connection to your nearest tower and have Automatically select network turned on and that LTE is set to your preferred network. Your phone will try to connect to Fizz_EXT (4G) before falling back to native Fizz 3G.

If you're on Android, you can switch your phone to prioritize the Fizz tower by turning off Automatically Select Network (and choose Fizz 4G) which will force your phone to connect to Fizz towers but your signal will likely be unstable and weak (dropped calls and slow data).

If you are concerned about the rule you can change your preferred network type to 3G and your phone should have a usable signal but you will have to micromanage (switch it back to prefer LTE) if you travel to a better connected area.

• GreekFire
    Thanks for the reply.

On android, when I try to manually select a network only fizz ext shows up. Haven't seen a fizz connection in my home area, which is covered under the coverage subscription area.

I pinged support, will try again. Hoping I don't get penalized :)
  • jvh_NVPF2
    jvh_NVPF2 Posts: 797 ✭✭

That's strange, are you deep in the green area or on the edges of it?

It's not a guarantee that the map is 100% accurate but you will get an email warning if Fizz decides your usage has been too much on partner network.

• BradDoell
    BradDoell Posts: 169 ✭✭

I live on the edge of a green zone but frequently travel to the center of it. I have gone into and out of airplane mode while I the center, rebooted the phone etc and still stay on EXT.

I have been with Fizz now into my third month. I have not had any communication from Fizz advising me of any problem.

I am no longer concerned. :-)

• GreekFire
    I'd say I'm far from edges (minimum 30km). Checkout Elora Ontario on coverage map
This discussion has been closed.