Random disconnection

leehack
leehack Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 21 in Internet
I have a random disconnection.
The modem loses the WAN connection from time to time, sometimes once every few weeks, sometimes once every few days, or even every few hours.

Because of the issue, I started using a WiFi Router on top of it, but it didn't help much.

After a long discussion with tech support, they told me that my plan(400gbps) has a 15-device limit, which may trigger a soft reboot for the modem. They asked me to try to disconnect a few devices. For me, this doesn't make sense at all. Because I have 15 devices connected, they trigger a reboot? Most devices are even in standby mode. Probably, barely two devices are actively using the internet at the same time.

I guess it's time to say goodbye to Fizz.

Answers

• elena code xzi4t
    elena code xzi4t Posts: 7,766 ✭✭
    edited June 20

Hi @leehack

That is strange; nowadays, 15 days is nothing.

The support should test your wan connection, probably there is a problem with the signal

• BeakBird
    BeakBird Posts: 2,932 ✭✭

I agree. 15 devices should have nothing to do with the issue. In theory if you have a ton of devices they will just compete for the available bandwidth (for example if you are watching a video stream it will buffer).

In the router settings you can set which types of multimedia get priority via QoS (quality of service).

Having said that, if the problem is random or intermittent it can be very difficult to troubleshoot.

In that case the solution is usually to swap out one component at a time and monitor the results.

On the Fizz side it would be the modem, the coax cable between the modem and the wall, then the coax cable from the telephone pole to your home (and it's upstream components).

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 21,298 admin

Hello leehack 

We're really sorry for the inconvenience.

Please contact us directly and we will gladly assist you further, as a service call might be needed in order to investigate this issue https://fizz.ca/en/support

Thanks for your kind understanding!

Have a good rest,

-Ingrid, Community Moderator 

This discussion has been closed.