Guide to port landline telephone number to Fizz cellular service

Options
E S.
E S. Posts: 409 ✭✭
edited April 21 in My Mobile

I have noticed a few posts that lack clarity on whether or not it is possible to transfer landline phone numbers to Fizz.

It IS possible to transfer a landline telephone number to Fizz, albeit indirectly.

Why is this an interesting option? 5 main reasons.

1. Many people who have old Bell landlines for decades still get calls from friends and family members on those phone numbers.
  2. Landline prices have absurdly risen over the years and a Fizz Canada-wide cellular plan without text messaging, without data (and optionally without voicemail if your cordless phones already support this feature) is cheaper than a traditional landline.
  3. Home Phone device can run on battery mode in the case of a power outage, which may be important to some in case of an emergency.
  4. The device is portable. Remember that your landline will now be converted to a SIM card, which means that is on a cellular network and no longer requires your cordless phone to be plugged into the wall.
  5. To go one step further: This SIM card is associated with your landline phone number and can also be inserted into a cellular phone, making it a fully functional cellular phone number (and of course, you can associate any Fizz cellular plan with it).

Porting a landline number to Fizz first requires transferring the landline to a cellular provider that offers "Home Phone" services: The 5 cellular provider choices in Quebec are currently Fido, Koodo, Rogers, Telus, Virgin. They each offer a wireless Home Phone adapter such as this model:

https://www.ztecanada.com/products/zte-wireless-home-phone-wf723

The above device works with a SIM card that you would obtain from one of these providers, similar to a cell phone. Your phone number will be converted to a cellular number associated with that SIM card. Your phones would then be plugged into one of the two phone jacks in the back of this device.

At this point, you would begin the port process to Fizz. Usually the porting process requires you to authorize the transfer by replying "Yes" to a text message from the cellular provider to confirm the transfer to Fizz. Becuase the WF723 obviously is not a cell phone, it will be impossible to reply and automate the port-out to Fizz.

The next step will be to call the provider and request a manual port-out because you are unable to proceed with the text message confirmation.

The remainder of the steps are the same (you can find your IMEI number on the device packaging).

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Answers

• FizzyFizz JQMPM
    FizzyFizz JQMPM Posts: 6,340 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the instructions! I'm sure it will be helpful to other users

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,298 admin
    Options

Hello E S.,
    Thank you for your advices regarding the transferring of a landline number however, even though at some providers this functionality is working, from Fizz part we cannot guarantee that it will function.
    There is a possibility that our system will still recognize the number as being landline.
    As mentioned in this FAQ: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-having-problems-transferring-my-current-phone-number-to-fizz-why-what-can-i-do at Fizz transferring a landline number is not possible.
    Your understanding is highly appreciated.
    Have a great day.
    -Lavinia, Community Moderator

This discussion has been closed.