Moved from 120 to 200Mbps and ended up with 70Mbps!

Options
Marcelo
Marcelo Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Internet

I have recently updated (previous billing month) my plan to 200Mbps, but instead I'm only getting 70Mbps!

I've tried contacted support via Whatsapp and after waiting for 9 HOURS for one single reply, the answer was "reset your modem", which was the first thing I had done in the first place..

Can anyone from actual support help me out here?

Answers

• wayne
    wayne Posts: 244 ✭✭
    Options

i'm afraid the chat support is the only way to go. Since you have already reset the modem, only other self diagnosis I can think of is connecting one of your PCs directly to the modem's lan port and speed test again, to eliminate home networking issues, if you haven't done so already.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,073 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Marcelo

Can you tell use how you make your test?

Ideally, perform the speed test on a computer directly connected to the modem via an Ethernet cable. This ensures that you're measuring the raw speed coming directly from the modem without any potential interference from Wi-Fi.

If you're conducting the speed test over Wi-Fi, keep in mind that Wi-Fi speeds can be affected by various factors such as interference, signal strength, and the number of devices connected. The problem might be related to your Wi-Fi network rather than the actual internet connection.

You can look at this guide https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-wi-fi-network-slow-how-do-i-make-it-faster

Or contact the Fizz support by chat

You can chat in direct

• Sign into your account

• Follow the link on this page: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-unable-log-my-fizz-account-what-do-i-do

• Wait 3 seconds for the green bubble with a '❔' appears at the bottom right of the browser, if you use a phone you must use it in desktop or horizontal mode

• Choose the option 💬 chat

• If the green bubble does not appear make sure your ad blocker is disabled, otherwise try with another browser.

Or by private message on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fizzca/

• Marcelo
    Options

Hello @wayne & @Jess_i88b6,

I performed the test from a desktop computer wired directly to the modem. I'm still waiting for the "chat in direct" to answer since my confirmation that I had reset the modem..

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭
    Options

Did you try to install Fizz WiFi app and test the speed from it? It calculates the speed, runs some diagnostics which can be sent to support directly.

• Marcelo
    Options

@Andrei_ref_R7VK1

Yes I did, yesterday while waiting for the support to answer me, the reported speed was a little be "better" from that app, but not even close to the contracted 200Mbps .

• Marcelo
    Options

I could place the results of speed test from the fizz wifi app, ookla and google (which i did on the support chat) if that helps proving my point..

Yes @Whizz ,you have solved other issues in the past for me, I need your help again please:)

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,232 admin
    Options

Hello Marcelo  ,

Sorry to hear about the issue.

I verified your modem`s signals and mostly there appear to be congestion and coverage issues.

Other nearby Wi-Fi networks might be interfering with yours, for example your neighbour's network or the coffee shop next door.

Your Wi-Fi connected devices can be significantly impacted when there are many surrounding networks that start to overlap.

Your Wi-Fi speed may slow down, and as a result your devices will take longer to load web pages, buffer videos, etc.

On a side note, try to disconnect a few devices while you are making speed tests, even via a wired connection - as the speed is divided by the number of connected devices when you run the speed tests.

Now, on the other hand, multiple devices on your network have poor connection quality to the modem.

This could indicate that your Wi-Fi network is not covering enough of your home.

Changing your modem's environment will provide stronger signals and faster speeds.

Please try the following:

Avoid placing your modem in these locations:
    On the floor.
    In a closet or drawer.
    Near windows.
    Near fish tanks.
    Near metal furniture or shelving.
    On top of a TV box, Xbox, or Playstation.
    Close to microwave, fridges, freezers, other small appliances.
    Placing your modem on a hard surface at about table height reduces the likelihood of signal interference.
    Move your modem to a central location in your home if possible.

A bit more details can be found here also : https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-wi-fi-network-slow-how-do-i-make-it-faster

Try to follow these steps and reach our customer service on live chat if you still have issues.

Thank you for your understanding and have a good one,
    -Raul, Community Moderator.

This discussion has been closed.