Unstable home internet connection since yesterday - Blainville

Options
FreshProduce
FreshProduce Posts: 5
edited November 2023 in Internet
Hi, my home internet connection has been unstable since yesterday, never had that issue before (since 3 years). The connection speed fluctuates randomly from max (450 mpbs) to almost zero. I already restarted my modem and router (eero) several times, I did a factory reset on the Fizz modem and now I even connected my laptop directly to the modem with ethernet to rule out the Eero. Nothing has worked (sometimes the problem seems to go away for a few minutes but comes back soon after).
I contacted Fizz support today and they told me that apparently there was work being done in my area, but had no ETA and no other details. This has been going on since at least 4 pm yesterday (Sunday November 26, 2023).
Anyone else having a similar issue? What can I do other than wait and hope the issue is somehow resolved? (I have no details whatsoever on the purported maintenance work going on in my area)
Note that the @ light on the modem is stable.

Best Answers

• NinjaMarky
    NinjaMarky Posts: 1,615 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

unfortunately if there is work being done is your area, there is not much you can do about the internet.

if the problem continues, you can chat again with support to get an update.

do you have a backup plan?

if you have fizz mobile, you can hotspot your data to get a more stable connection.

fizz gave mobile customers 5x their data in perks, so it's good to use those.

also there are a lot of generous gifters here on the fourm.

• Easygolucky
    Easygolucky Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It sounds like you've already done a thorough job troubleshooting the issue from your end. Here's what you can consider next, given the situation:

1. Monitor the Situation: Since Fizz support mentioned that there's work being done in your area, the most straightforward action right now is to monitor the situation. Keep an eye on your internet connection and see if it improves once the maintenance work is completed.
    2. Stay Informed: Check if Fizz has any updates on their website or social media platforms regarding the maintenance work. Sometimes ISPs provide updates on their social channels or community forums.
    3. Document Your Experience: Keep a record of when the connection drops or slows down significantly. This information can be helpful if you need to contact Fizz support again.
    4. Ask Neighbors: Check with your neighbors to see if they are experiencing similar issues. If they are also Fizz customers and facing the same problem, it's likely related to the maintenance work.
    5. Alternative Internet Solutions: If you absolutely need a stable connection for work or other important tasks, consider temporary alternatives like using your phone's hotspot (if you have a sufficient data plan), or checking for public Wi-Fi spots in your area.
    6. Regular Updates from Fizz: Consider asking Fizz support for regular updates. They might not have an ETA, but they could provide more insight into the nature of the work or how long such maintenance typically lasts.
    7. Check for External Factors: Although it seems like the issue is with the maintenance work, it doesn't hurt to check for other factors that could affect your connection, like new electronic devices in your home that might cause interference.
    8. Consider a Backup Plan: For the future, you might want to consider having a backup internet plan, especially if your work or daily activities heavily depend on a stable connection.

Answers

• FreshProduce
    Options
    Thanks for the response. That's what I'm doing right now, using my hotspot with the 2 GB perks until the situation is resolved. I contacted support and asked for an ETA (1 day, 1 week, 1 month?), still waiting for their answer...
  • FreshProduce
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I find it unfortunate that Fizz offers no compensation (e.g. extra mobile data or anything like that), doesn't announce the maintenance (it's not mentioned on their status page) and doesn't even know how long it'll last (I asked support and they said they don't have any info about that).
    I'm adding a backup ISP plan, and if it works well, I'll probably cancel my plan with Fizz.
  • Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,321 admin
    Options

Hello FreshProduce  ,

Sorry to hear about the issue!

According to your Service Agreement , you are entitled to a prorated refund, if the issue occurs for more than 48 hours which you can also check in My plans - Manage - Service Agreement : https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-can-i-view-my-service-agreement

Since about 48 hours have already passed, you can reach our customer service on Live chat to request it, but I advise you to reach them once the issue is resolved so you can get a refund for the specific days without service, since we don`t know how long it will take until the matter is addressed.

We understand that the situation is not quite pleasant however your patience and understanding are quite appreciated.

Have a good one,
    -Raul, Community Manager

This discussion has been closed.