wifi slower than internet

Options
Nikolaos
Nikolaos Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Internet

Hello, i have 200 mbps internet but the wifi is around 30 Mbps even when I am next to the modem. what is going on? Is it possible because my devices can not do 5G?

Answers

• Simon G. #12178
    Simon G. #12178 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Options

Hello Nikolaos, have you tried restarting your Fizz Wi-Fi modem? This might fix the problem. If it doesn’t, you should probably create a ticket through your Fizz account or chat with Fizz support.

Hope this helps,

Simon

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Nikolaos

If your device don't have the 5Ghz this means that it is an old device therefore your speed is limited by this.

Can yu try to disable the band steering?

Your Fizz Wi-Fi modem uses by default the to frequency band steering technology. When this function is disabled, the Wi-Fi modem will display two (2) frequency bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.  

The modification of this option is possible thanks to the mobile application Fizz Wi-Fi:

Choose: ''My Wi-Fi''

Select your Wi-Fi network

Select: ''Advanced Settings''

Band Steering ''On/Off''

The Fizz Wi-Fi app is available for free at various online stores (Apple Store and Google Play Store).

This change can also be applied through the Wi-Fi modem user interface:

1. Log in at: 192.168.0.1 from the web browser of any device.

2. Log in using the following information:

Username: cusadmin

Password: xxxxxxxx (Password you chose during initial setup)

3. Go to the next section to apply changes:

Wireless ->Advanced -> 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz -> Band Steering (Disable)

If you do not remember the password you entered during setup, press and hold the "Reset" button behind the modem to reset your Wi-Fi modem back to its factory settings.

• Code:8CE6H
    Code:8CE6H Posts: 8,180 ✭✭
    Options

I didn't think you could actually get such high speeds over wifi. Personally, I use the RJ-45 cable for greater stability and speed with my computer.

Contact Fizz if the problem persists.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,364 admin
    Options

Hello Nikolaos,

I’m sorry for the situation you have encountered.

In order to verify this situation, please download the Fizz Wi-Fi application, you have to follow this link: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-fizz-apps and download the application from one of the links provided at the end of #2 point.

The first step for any Wi-Fi-related issues is to ensure you have run your network scan at home. If you have not yet completed the 2-minute network scan please follow the steps below to get started:

To start troubleshooting follow these instructions:

►Stand next to your Modem

►Open the Fizz Wi-Fi application and tap the 3 dots in the top right to open the application menu

►Tap “Fizz support”

►Tap “Tools and support”

Follow the prompts and accept all permissions until you reach the feature screen then click on Network Scan

Allow the 2-minute Scan to complete (do NOT minimize the application and don't try to see messages/notifications). Once the scan is complete, please navigate back to this chat. We will then be able to review the scan details, pinpoint exactly what is causing your Wi-Fi issue, and resolve it as soon as possible.

You will need real-time assistance, so please use the chat bubble located in the lower right-hand corner of the Solution Hub pages. If you have trouble finding it, click on the following link (with an incognito window ctrl+shift+n), and the chat bubble will appear within 15-20 seconds: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-unable-log-my-fizz-account-what-do-i-do.

We are waiting for you there, rest assured, you will do this in no time.

I hope you have a pleasant day!

-Mihai

This discussion has been closed.