Why is Fizz changing/resetting some router settings without notice?

Options
parphane
parphane Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited January 2023 in Internet

Twice it has happened already:

• First time re-enabling Wifi after an update
  • Second time removing B from Wifi B/G/N on the 2Ghz band

Can this be communicated and not happen again in the future?

I feel lucky that I found the issues without too much trouble, but the 1st one caused me some headaches for a while because devices had poor Wifi / could not see each other.

Second one just prevented my printer from connecting.

Please be more careful when rolling out updates.

Thanks

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,196 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello parphane,

Sorry to hear about the issue!

Usually Fizz updates modems without any prior notice, as we apologize for the inconvenience, however, we take extra precautions so this won`t interfere and cause any network or modem settings changes.

If you notice that your modem`s settings tend to reset without you interfering in the modem`s interface, we advise that you reach our colleagues on Live chat following these details : https://fizz.ca/en/support so they can assist further.
    Be sure that you are logged to your Fizz account before accessing this link and that you start browsing the FAQ`s so the chat bubble appears at the bottom of the page.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Have a good one,
    -Raul

Answers

• Olic
    Olic Posts: 819 ✭✭
    Options

Fizz really tries to make this as easy as possible for its customers. Customers who often don't even know how to log into the router's web interface to change settings.

If you are at least a bit advanced, I would recommend using your own router, over which you will have complete control. You can also choose a device that will offer better performance and meet your needs.

• parphane
    Options

"Fizz devrait vous informer des modifications importantes et vous donner des instructions pour vous assurer que vous pouvez continuer à utiliser les services internet de manière optimale."

That's where the problem is, never got a message.

You know of any page for modem update and update notes?

• CJ Ref Code B43SA
    CJ Ref Code B43SA Posts: 288 ✭✭
    Options

None of these are Fizz specific issues, they're things that your router does - they don't control it, you do and have full access to it. What you're talking about is Firmware updates and those are mandated by the manufacturer as well, what issues may arise from them is something to look into, surely, but don't make it sound like Fizz is controlling your gateway and making it do funny things, because they're not.

• parphane
    Options

Wow, what an antagonizing comment.

"they're things that your router does - they don't control it, you do and have full access to it."

Do I have control over the content of the firmware updates?

Also, Fizz supplies the equipment. You pay it as part of your plan even if it's not part of the bill. So it is part of the service provided.

They have to manage quality of their suppliers.

I never said they controlled our gateways, I clearly said "Please be more careful when rolling out updates".

Thanks for no help though @_CJ_

• EtienneB
    EtienneB Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Options

Fizz may change or reset certain settings on your router without notice to maintain the quality and security of their network. This may include updating the router's firmware to fix bugs or security vulnerabilities, or optimizing your router settings to improve the performance of your Internet connection.

Fizz may also make changes to your router's settings to resolve connection problems or to meet regulatory requirements. Fizz may make these changes to maintain the quality of service for all users, and to ensure the security of their network.

It is important to note that these changes in settings may cause temporary disruptions to your Internet connection and some services. Fizz should inform you of important changes and give you instructions to ensure that you can continue to use the Internet services optimally. It is therefore important to check your email regularly or consult their website for information on updates or important changes.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• parphane
    Options

Thanks @EtienneB ,

"It is therefore important to check your email regularly or consult their website for information on updates or important changes."

Do you know of any page for modem update and update notes? Because Fizz did not send email notification.

This discussion has been closed.