How to change router IP

Options
Mesh
Mesh Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited January 2023 in Internet

Hello, i am having this issue reaching specific websites, and thanks to the community here we discovered its an IP issue as it seems that there are access restriction on the IP assigned to the modem, for now I am able to use a VPN to bypass this issue temporarily but looking for a permanent solution.

I tried turning off the router for 30 mins, even for a couple of hours and it seems i get the same IP.

i started Fizz service beginning of Jan and the IP did not change, (its like static :S)

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,109 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello Mesh,
    I am sorry for the situation encountered,
    I have verified your account and I can see that you contacted our customer support team.
    Indeed the IP it is assigned to you randomly. Given that the IP is dynamic it should change every time you restart your modem. The IP change is done only if there is another IP available at the time the modem establishes a connection. 
    If there are no other IP available at that time, the same one you have will be assigned to you.
    Furthermore, in the application that you want to use works with specific IPs you should consider using a VPN.
    We have also recommended that you verify the DNS settings on your modem and these should be provided by your IT department. 
    The DNS can be configured by logging into your modem's interface> Basic settings> DNS.
    To log into the modem's interface, go to 192.168.0.1 on your browser.
    Then log in using these credentials:
    Username: cusadmin
    Password: xxxxxxxx (Password you chose during initial setup ) or the default password that can be found on your modem's white label.
    Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
    Have a great day!
    -Eugen

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hi @Mesh

There is no a specific way to do it, since we don't know the lease time. The ISP try to give a very long lease, tto protect users. Since if a specific user does something bad, and the IP is banned, he will not be able to change it easily.

I will try to different approach

• Connecting my personal router to the modem, sometime this affect the mac address of your modem, this will force the DHCP to give you a new IP
    • Turn off the modem overnight, to have a longer down :(
    • Factory reset the modem, I don't know if it will help

You can try with the support, I don't know if they have the possibility to do it.

You can chat in direct

• Sign into your account

• Follow the link on this page: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-unable-log-my-fizz-account-what-do-i-do

• Wait 3 seconds for the green bubble with a '❔' appears at the bottom right of the browser, if you use a phone you must use it in desktop or horizontal mode

• Choose the option 💬 chat

• If the green bubble does not appear make sure your ad blocker is disabled, otherwise try with another browser.

Or by private message on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fizzca/

• CJ Ref Code B43SA
    CJ Ref Code B43SA Posts: 288 ✭✭
    Options

You don't control your assigned IP, it's given to you by the provider, so there's nothing you can specifically do about it - if you or someone else using your IP gets your IP banned/blocked from certain services, it's the user's responsibility, not the service provider's.

• Mesh
    Mesh Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

@CJ Thanks for your input though i did not have access sine day one with Fizz, it used to work fine with my previous ISP. so there is no wrong doing from my part, second how is it my responsibility when it was Fizz who assigned the IP to me ?

• fcoursol
    fcoursol Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Options

If you head to the router IP adress via your browser (usually 198.169.0.1) and login (username : cusadmin and your wifi password) there are lot's of settings. If you can change your modem IP, it would be from there but that is as far as my knowledge goes.

Good luck

This discussion has been closed.