Plan to buy Can-Usa for 3 mo travel. Will full phone features work like in quebec?

Options
Daniel_Vezina007
Daniel_Vezina007 Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2022 in My Mobile

What do I need to do on my 5G phone to get full roaming service in US?

Upgrade to a New SIM card? (Actual is dated from 3 years old phone)

or Fizz LTE full phone service in US still not an option and need to change provider?

Was in Alaska last summer and Fizz was a disaster and left me with no service at all.....

Had to rely on friends for all my communications even trying all Fizz phone massage.

Best Answer

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 807 ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Daniel_Vezina007

First thing you need to make sure is to take the Canada + USA plan at least 5 days before the end of your billing period so you can use your new plan in the following billing period.

Make sure you have activated roaming. You may have to restart your phone once you cross the border, do a network search, and choose US mobile provider T-Mobile. And you are all set

With the Canada + USA plan , you can use your accumulated data in the United States as you would in Quebec, and make phone calls and text messages. Data adds in each new billing period as it does in Quebec, so you use your USA plan the same way you use your Canada plan.

Fizz has not yet launched VoLTE (which will allow you to make phone calls over the LTE networks) for long time Fizz users (Fizz users before March 16, 2022), but Fizz plans to have VoLTE running for all its users by spring 2023. What this means is that data will be available from both US providers AT&T and T-Mobile, but phone calls won't be available over their 4G LTE networks. And since both providers have already shut down their 3G calling networks, the only way calls can work right now is by using T-Mobile's limited coverage 2G GSM network.

However note that social media apps like Skype, FaceTime, Google Meet, Messenger will still be useful as they run over 4G LTE networks.

Before you cross the border, you should switch to the new VoLTE SIM card, so you will be ready when Fizz completes its VoLTE startup for all Fizz users.

As you already have a 5G phone, your phone should have extended connection capability. This will help you get the best access to VoLTE connection.

I'm sorry your last Alaska phone service was a deception. Hopefully your next USA trip will be better.

As I said, T-Mobile still uses its 2G network for calls. And the link to a prior post below will help you connect to the 2G T-Mobile if required.

Good luck.

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

Hi @Daniel_Vezina007

Yes you need to change the SIM, for a VoLTE however, you cannot use for the voice at this point in time https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-volte-important. You can still use the data, and the VoIP app such fongo, skype, textnow, etc

No you don't need a 5G phone, you need a VoLTE phone. check the list https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-volte-important, that fizz certified.

From jully 2022 the calls and message are almost finish in US using the 3G

Some user reported that activating the 2G was possible to make calls in certain area.

As of July 2022, if you are travelling in the United States, including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, only the LTE network is available. This means that until springtime 2023, calling may not be possible based on your situation.

When will this issue be resolved?

All depends on your situation.

> If you became a mobile member BEFORE March 16, 2022. 

Calling will be possible again by spring 2023 when Fizz offers VoLTE on its own network. At that time, using a VoLTE certified phone updated with the latest software update and activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card will allow you to make calls when in the United States. 

> If you became a mobile member ON or AFTER March 16, 2022.

Your plan should already be activated with a VoLTE compatible SIM card. If you are using a VoLTE-certified phone updated with the latest software update, calls and texts will work in the U.S. If it is not, you will only have access to your mobile data.

See the list of certified phones

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work

This discussion has been closed.