Slow internet speed

Options
maisoncastro
maisoncastro Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2022 in Internet

Hello,

For some reason, my internet speed has been slow today. Yesterday I was hitting 200 Mbps as I paid for (Been with y'all since June, and it's the first time the internet speed has caused me problems), but today it went down to 40 Mbps.

It's been like that the whole day. I've checked your app, and it states that our Modem is hitting 200 Mbps, but not towards my computer.

I'd like to know whether it stems from your side?

Thank you

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,177 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello maisoncastro ,

Thank you for being part of the Fizz community!
    We are sorry to hear about this issue.
    Following the verifications there isn't any maintenance in your area that could affect the services.
    If you didn't do it already, please plug the modem into another electrical outlet (directly not using an extension cord), make sure the coaxial cable is well inserted and undamaged. Also please restart the devices that have speed issues.
    You can find in this FAQ more information: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-wi-fi-network-slow-how-do-i-make-it-faster
    We remain available 24/7 so please keep us informed.

Have a great day,
    -Georgian

Answers

• Mamie
    Mamie Posts: 1,784 ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options

@maisoncastro

Hi, restart your modem:

1. Unplug the power cable on your Wi-Fi modem.
    2. Make sure all the lights on the modem are off once you have unplugged it.
    3. Wait ten (10) seconds.
    4. Plug your modem back into the electrical outlet. Your modem will reset and reconnect to the Fizz network.

If there is no improvement, reset the modem to factory settings.

This will reset any changes that have been made to your Wi-Fi modem settings to date. You may also need to reconfigure your devices’ Wi-Fi settings (network name, password, etc.).

"Using a small, sharp object, press the modem’s reset button for 10 seconds. Once your modem has restarted, follow the same instructions you used when you initially installed it."

With a web browser, put in the address 192.168.0.1- a window will open automatically and follow the instructions for the configuration steps.

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/i-connected-my-device-using-network-cable-my-internet-connection-slow-how-do-i-fix-it

It can restore the original internet speed.

• Alexsolo
    Alexsolo Posts: 708 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @maisoncastro , this is a help forum, we are other Fizz customers.

We can offer advice.

Can you go speed test from Internet Speed Test | Fast.com or Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

You can try from both phone , laptop or desktop PC (ethernet connection), even a game console with a webbrowser.

Else try a modem reset: My Wi-Fi network is cutting out. How do I fix it? | Fizz

Take note of the various sources of attenuation of your Wi-Fi signal
    1. The waves in your Wi-Fi network may be attenuated by various obstacles and sources of interference, causing decreases in speed and partial or complete disconnections of your internet connection.
    2. Sources of interference include:
    • Nearby Wi-Fi networks
    • Surveillance cameras
    • Baby monitors
    • Microwave ovens
    • Etc.
    1. Obstacles to Wi-Fi waves include:
    • Construction materials (concrete, aluminum, etc.)
    • Heated flooring
    • Mirrors
    • Windows
    • Etc.
    1. Recommendation: If you are unable to change your environment to limit sources of Wi-Fi signal attenuation, it would be better to use a network cable (RJ45).
    2. A cable is included in the original box of your Fizz Wi-Fi modem.

This discussion has been closed.