Shaffer10
Shaffer10 Posts: 1 ✭✭

Going to USA, is my iPhone11 will work without 5G, I have the 4G

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,809 admin
    Answer ✓

Hello Shaffer10,

Thank you for being part of the Fizz community!
    Indeed, as our members informed you, for now the mobile data will work properly while you are in USA, due the fact mobile data is using LTE frequency. As for calls and SMS, since 3G was removed by the USA providers, those services won't work, however in some areas they still have 2G so you can try to connect your phone to those networks. 

Once VoLTE will be released by Fizz, calls and SMS will also work in USA since they will be made using mobile data.
    You can find more information about VoLTE in this FAQ: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-volte-important

I am counting on your understanding and I wish you a great day,
    -Georgian

Answers

• FizzyWizz
    FizzyWizz Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited September 2022

Data will work, voice/text might not work because of the 3G network shutdown by US carriers. So for the time being, you will have to rely on VOIP apps to make calls (Skype, Facebook Messenger, ...). Everything should work normally one Fizz fully activates VoLTE on their network.

Hope this helps :)

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭
    edited September 2022

@Shaffer10

Just to clear things up, the "old" SIM card was 3G, because calls needed to go through 3G (or 2G) networks. The new SIM card is a LTE SIM card or VoLTE SIM card, which means calls will go through 4G LTE networks (for now) or 5G LTE networks.

As for DATA, I don't think there is any major difference. The old 3G and the LTE SIM cards let you upload and download data over 2G, 3G, and 4G networks.

For 5G networks, you need to allow 5G networks access. The Network mode menu in the Fizz Mobile networks drop down menu allows only the LTE/WCDMA/GSM for full networks access.

These settings are located in the PHONE INFORMATION menu for Android phones. Many other options are available in this menu. These include limiting access to only 2G or 3G networks, and excluding LTE when trying to make phone calls over 2G T-Mobile network in the United States.

Another option in this menu is giving access to 5G/LTE networks (says NR for 5G). In the United States, 5G coverage is largely widespread. So this could be handy, but I don't know if this choice will work with Fizz.

Access to the Phone Information menu is by dialing the code below in the phone dialer keypad.

* # * # 4 6 3 6 # * # *

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭

@Shaffer10

I don't think the phone information menu is available in iPhones. Please don't take note of the PHONE INFORMATION menu section.