Why my 5Ghz wifi doesn't work sometimes?

Options
fer
fer Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Internet

I don't know why only my 2.4Ghz works and I have to reset my modem to return the 5Ghz wifi.

Answers

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 805 ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

One reason is 5G is shorter range than 2.5 GHz, so if you have obstacles between your router and your cellphone, or if the distance is too long, your phone won't connect to 5Ghz

• fer
    fer Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Options

Even when I'm close to the modem, I think it's something else. When I reset it returns

• Motr3
    Motr3 Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Options

Make sure your networks have different names.

Make your device forget the 2.4ghz network.

Connect your device to the 5ghz network.

• authorone
    authorone Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Options

Another cause can be an outdated or corrupted network adapter driver on your computer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,100 admin
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @fer,

Thank you for describing your situation to us.

There is a way to separate the 2.4 GHz bandwidth from the 5 GHz one. The modification of this option is possible thanks to the mobile application Fizz Wi-Fi and to do that, you have to disable the router feature named bandwidth steering as follows:

Open the Fizz Wi-Fi application on your phone;

Choose: ''My Wi-Fi'';

Select your Wi-Fi network;

Select: ''Advanced Settings'';

Band Steering ''On/Off''.

If you don't have the Fizz Wi-Fi application, you can disable the bandwidth steering feature by following these steps:

1. Log in at: 192.168.0.1 from the web browser of any device.

2. Log in using the following information:

Username: cusadmin

Password: xxxxxxxx (Password you chose during initial setup).

3. Go to the next section to apply changes:

Wireless → General Settings → 5GHz → Band Steering (Disable).

After doing so, you have to know the following: the two big differences between these upending internet technologies, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi connections are - speed and range. A wireless transmission at 2.4 GHz provides internet to a larger area but sacrifices the fast internet speed, while 5 GHz provides faster speeds but restricts itself to a smaller area.

Please connect your devices according to the above sentence on the 2.4GHz bandwidth and 5.0GHz bandwidth.

Also, you should rename the two bandwidths as Motr3 mentioned above and connect your devices manually.

You can see more details regarding this here: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-wi-fi-network-cutting-how-do-i-fix-it.

I hope you have a pleasant day!

-Mihai

This discussion has been closed.