Failed (illegal) attempt to port out mobile number appears to break Fizz backend.

Jacques_Assert
Jacques_Assert Posts: 153 ✭✭
edited July 2022 in My Mobile

Someone tried to port out my mobile phone number (wlog ***-***-1234), which required confirmation via a text sent to me. I immediately called to report that this was NOT desired.

The agent tried to distinguish an accidental mistake from a hijack attempt by checking whether the other party tried another port immediately afterwards, and whether it was successful.

The other party did successfully port a similar number (***-***-1230) so it looked like an accidental typo rather than a hijack attempt. No harm, no foul.

Three days later, incoming calls to my cell number reported 'Number not in Service' though I could still place outgoing calls. It was determined that my phone had become unprovisioned (and Fizz claimed this had nothing to do with the failed port attempt).

The phone was reprovisioned within 48 hours and worked normally for a time.

And then I changed my phone (same model, but newer) and when I inserted my old SIM the Fizz network reported that the phone number was the incorrect one (***-***-1230).

This appears to have caused no end of trouble in the Fizz Portal.

While the phone seems to work normally, the portal does not report that the phone belongs to me, and in fact continues to report my old phone (with the Fizz number of the person who now owns it).

So at a minimum, I have no way to report my phone lost or stolen.

Q: Does anyone know what process would connect a SIM with a phone number? Technical support is useless for this type of corner case, as it's 'impossible'.

I've had an open ticket for weeks on this issue, with no feedback or resolution.

Note: There is no option to LOCKDOWN your account from port out attempts, so someone could attempt to port your number and it's up to you to always reject the request. They don't even need your phone to do it, because there is another number that will confirm the port if the person attempting to port knows enough personal details about you. It's a major security risk IMHO.

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,807 admin
    Answer ✓

Hello Jacques_Assert,
    I have verified your account and there is no trace of this phone number ever existing with us.
    Furthermore, I could not find anything related to the port-out attempt that you described here for that number. 
    Also, regarding the number can be transferred only if you accept the challenge message. 
    If the challenge message is not answered in 90 minutes, it will fail. 
    It works the same for all providers. Here you can find more details: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/im-having-problems-transferring-my-current-phone-number-to-fizz-why-what-can-i-do
    Also, please refrain from posting private information on the community hub. 
    Please, respect the Community Guidelines that you can find here: 
    https://fizz.ca/en/community-user-guidelines

Thank you for your understanding! 
    Have a good one!
    -Eugen

This discussion has been closed.