Calling and Texting between Canada and the US

Options
MegFizz
MegFizz Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited July 2022 in My Mobile

Will Canada–US continue to cover incoming and outgoing calls to the US while the user is in Canada? And also, how much do these calls cost if you have a Canada only plan?

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,106 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello MegFizz,
    I am really sorry for this situation,
    With the Canada and USA plan, while you are in Canada, you will be able to call and text a person in the USA. 
    However, if the person that you call or send a text to, is with FIzz, he will not be able to receive the said call/text.
    Your calls/text option will not work while you are physically in the US, that is all. However, you will be able to use your data freely. 
    More details here: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work
    Dapfizzer, I want to correct you here on one of the answers given on this thread. Please, refer to this post in the future. 

Also, regarding the cost for international calls to the US, you can verify them by going into your account> my plans> manage plan> add-ons> international calls. You will see there a full list of prices. 
    Check this FAQ for more details: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-is-an-add-on-and-how-do-i-buy-one

Thank you for your understanding!
    Have a good day!
    -Eugen

Answers

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options

@MegFizz

Hi,

the coverage area you choose determines the expanse of the calls and texts included in your plan. If you choose the Canada coverage for instance, you can make or receive calls anywhere in the country.

Calling within your coverage area:

• When you are in your coverage area, any call you receive, even those coming from abroad, are considered and billed as a local call.
    • If your plan includes unlimited calls, you can make (and receive) as many local calls as you want within your coverage area. 

Calling abroad (from your coverage area):

• To check rates, log into your Fizz account. Under your mobile plan, click on Manage / Add-on, and enter the country where you’d like to call. 
    • If an Add-on is offered to call that country, its information will be detailed, and you’ll have the opportunity to buy it. 
    • The per-minute rate will also be shown, but you’ll need to add funds to your Fizz wallet to pay for those calls. 
    • If you make calls each month to one country in particular, and that country is on our special rate list, it may be worthwhile for you to add the International calls option to your plan: for $5 per month, you get a fixed number of minutes for calls made from your coverage area to that country. 
    • To learn more: How can I make calls abroad when in my coverage area

Incoming texts are always free, whether you’re within your coverage area or not, and whether you opted for unlimited texts or not. 

When you are within your coverage area:

• Plan with unlimited texts: all text messages you send are included, whatever their destination is. With a Quebec coverage for example, you could send a text to Ottawa, or even London.
    • Plan without unlimited texts: sending a text will cost you $0.05, whatever its destination. To do so, you’ll have to add funds in your Fizz wallet

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/abcs-fizz-mobile-services

• Dapfizzer
    Options

@MegFizz

Sorry, no more calls from Canada can be sent to the USA, nor received. The same goes for text messages on Fizz’s mobile network, starting tomorrow, July 1, 2022.

Sorry again for this mistake!

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭
    Options

@Dapfizzer

On that message the whizz said "En fait, depuis le mois de juillet 2022, seul le réseau de données LTE est disponible aux États-Unis. Appeler ou recevoir des appels et textos sera impossible."

Therefore, you cannot call when you are in the USA, they never said from Canada to the USA

• Dapfizzer
    Options

@Jessy_ref_i88b6

Exactly! That’s my mistake, and I take full responsibility for it.

• trackknife
    trackknife Posts: 1 ✭✭
    Options

Okay, so when does Fizz enable VoLTE when in the US? I take it they are 'working on it'? I see VoLTE is enabled when I'm in Montreal/Quebec. I will check next time I'm in Ottawa to see if that is working while 'roaming' on Rogers. I also have a trip planned next week to New York. I'm guessing as long as it jumps onto T-Mobile we're ok to get calls and texts?

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭
    Options

@trackknife At the moment FIzz said that it was impossible to make/receive calls/texts when you are in the states.

Today or tomorrow we will have some feed back from users :(

• Fizzaddict
    Fizzaddict Posts: 240 ✭✭
    Options

I think it should be possible to call to the US when you are located in Canada and to receive calls from the US but while you are in the US, you will not be able to call or text, Fizz is using 3G network that is discontinued in the US.

This discussion has been closed.