My Can-Us plan does not work at all when in usa

Options
Daniel_Vezina007
Daniel_Vezina007 Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2022 in My Mobile

Just arrive to Fairbanks AK and phone does not work at all. I chat with Fizz and did all their test, reset, reboot, APN, network change, test SIM on 2nd phone, etc and all fails. Even open a ticket and suggest I setup phone to 3G, but phone does not have feature. It is LTE/AMRC-LB/GSM.

Looks like FIZZ is crap travelling into US and shall be stated loud not to use outside Canada, until the really figure out operation over LTE /5G network as 3G is out in USA. Phone simply does not register to any network. Phone is recent A32 5G model bought from Fizz. They did not even warn once you upgrade your plan to Can-Us coverage.

SIM status shows : Phone disconnected from network, UMTS as mobile voice , unknown for mobile data , Not roaming even with roaming active. I still have a 2 years old sim card and just saw new one may be required but FIZZ never say so on chat, nor ticket.

Download Network signal Info and shows : Voice UMTS, my roaming is OFF and phone is GSM

Am I loosing my time trying to connect this phone in Alaska and worth moving on to a new SIM as I return home in 2 months or simply drop Fizz and move to a US cell compliant provider?

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,171 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello Daniel_Vezina007,
    I am sorry for the situation encountered,
    I have verified your account and I can see that you have received an answer from us after our technical team investigated the situation.
    Can you please, let us know if you still saw that email? If you did, can you please let us know if the issue persists?
    Regarding your last question, if you are still unable to use the services there and you will stay in the US for 2 months, I would advise getting a local SIM card. 
    To contact us in private, you to use this link: https://fizz.ca/en/support

Thank you for your understanding and patience!
    Have a good day!
    -Eugen

Answers

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,783 ✭✭
    Options

Hi

UTMS is synonymous with 3G. GSM is basically 2G.

To use your phone in the US, you should try setting your phone to use the LTE/4G network (not GSM/2G) and you must enable the roaming option on your phone to be able to access mobile data.

Going onward with Fizz, you will need the newer SIM card (this card has the red lightning bolt printed on it) to be able to have calls while in the US.

The choice is really yours to make whether to stick with Fizz to weather through this adjustment period.

• ah727
    ah727 Posts: 807 ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options

@Daniel_Vezina007

Recently, a Fizz user in Alaska reported that the roaming provider in Alaska is AT&T, and that calls go through 3G networks.

AT&T networks coverage map shows network coverage in Fairbanks.

Try to choose AT&T roaming. Go to SETTINGS - MOBILE NETWORKS - and seach networks. Once you find AT&T, choose that provider, and unclick automatic networks search so you remain connected to AT&T.

Normally, switching airplane mode on and off will confirm your networks choice.

I like to use Network Signal Info app (from PlayStore) to see what network my phone is connected to. You could maybe give it a try.

My phone is Samsung A52 5G , and has GSM or WCDMA feature.

Good luck

• ah727
    Options

@PF_Ref_D2U9A

Your quote:

Going onward with Fizz, you will need the newer SIM card (this card has the red lightning bolt printed on it) to be able to have calls while in the US.

I agree with your quote, a new Sim card will be needed at a future time. But right now , I have the new Sim card, and even after multiple trials, I haven't been able to make VoLTE calls in the USA, nor Quebec, through Fizz or partner networks. I still recommend that Fizz customers get the new Sim card, but I am pretty shure that it won't help right now. I think Fizz will have to go VoLTE in Quebec before we see the benefits of using VoLTE in the USA.

• magic_channel
    magic_channel Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options

Fizz I hope VoLTE Roaming is working in US ! Im going in vacation soon ! Please....make it right

• ah727
    Options

@magic_channel

In North eastern USA, you will have access to 2G GSM networks. Works pretty well, but I think coverage is not as good as the 4G networks. You may have some issues. My B plan: I use Skype to call land phones (and mobile phones), otherwise Messenger for mobile phones.

• Michel B. 1734
    Michel B. 1734 Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options

It's unclear to me if Fizz voice calls will continue working in the US. I thought they would work with the "SIM with the red lightning bolt" but Fizz has this message on their website (https://fizz.ca/en/faq/why-do-some-calls-and-texts-when-us-not-work) which implies that voice and texts no longer work from the US:

Why do some calls and texts when in the U.S. not work?

No calls or texts possible.

Stay in touch without voice coverage.

No calls or texts possible.
    1. Be advised. As of July 2022, only the LTE data network will be available in the United States. You will not be able to make or receive calls and text messages. 
    2. Data coverage will not be affected. 
    Stay in touch without voice coverage.
    1. Here are a few options to make and receive voice or video calls and send and receive text messages: WhatsApp, Google Duo, Facetime and Messenger. 
    2. These apps use data and do not require voice coverage.

• FizzStoppingUSA
    FizzStoppingUSA Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

Is Fizz really stopping service in the USA with a one day notice? I have multiple accounts that use MFA through my Fizz number and will not be able to access them in the U.S. How is this possible with no warning?

• ah727
    edited June 2022
    Options

@Michel B. 1734

It all depends on where you are going. Some Fizz users are in Hawaii, or Alaska, situation seems different from North Eastern USA. I was in New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and Connecticut 2 weeks ago. Roaming provider was T-Mobile, and this provider uses 2G GSM networks for calls. Calls are OK, as long as 2G coverage is available. T-Mobile says it will hold o to its 2G networks until December 2022. AT&T didn't seem to be available in these states.

Forget about VoLTE. I have the new Sim card and a Samsung A52 5G phone, and VoLTE is not available.

This discussion has been closed.