MMS photos too large?

Options
Super
Super Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited May 2022 in My Mobile

Wife has new fizz service and a new iPhone Se. She can't receive text message photos. ?

She receives a message saying the MMS is too large to download.

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,166 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello Super,
    I am sorry for the situation encountered,
    I have verified your account and the situation was escalated to our technical team. 
    Our technical team informed us that there is no issue that comes from the network and this is a situation that you should discuss with Apple as it comes from the phone itself. 
    One additional piece of information, they informed us that an MMS should not exceed 2Mbs for an iPhone as it will not work, it is limited to only 2MBs and the Android phones are limited to 3MB for MMS. 
    I will leave this post open for a few more days in case you want to share with us the answer from Apple.
    Thank you for your understanding!
    Have a good day!
    -Eugen

Answers

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,781 ✭✭
    Options

Hi

First, check out this article to Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. This will allow you to close the Messages app and then Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and test it out again to see if the photo will download.

Here is also Fizz help file - https://fizz.ca/en/faq/i-cant-send-or-receive-multimedia-text-messages-why

Hope this helps.

If the problem continue, you can contact Fizz customer service by opening the link: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/i-cant-send-or-receive-multimedia-text-messages-why and simply scroll down until you see the green bubble, then click on it to start your chat session with Fizz customer service.

You can also do it on Facebook: https://facebook.com/fizzca

-By private message on Twitter : https://mobile.twitter.com/fizz_ca

-Whatsapp : (438) 393-5814

• Super
    Options

Daughter has fizz phone, she cannot open it either. Something funky with network? I can send it to a Telus phone.

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    Options

Try restarting the phone.

What size is the MMS photo? Can you try sending a smaller size photo to see if it works?

Go through the file help - https://fizz.ca/en/faq/i-cant-send-or-receive-multimedia-text-messages-why

You can always contact Fizz customer service if nothing helps - https://fizz.ca/en/contact-us

• Super
    Options

Both phones are in Ottawa at different locations. Both have been restarted. No, a resized photo won't work either

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    Options

Is mobile data working on their phone?

If they cannot access web pages with mobile data, then they may need to configure APN setting - https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-fizz-network-settings-apn

• Super
    Options

Yes, text I include with the photo is legible but the photo won't open..

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Options

APN settings need to be configured if not already done (as mentioned above).

Do they have a data plan, with available data ? Without data, MMS messages will often not work.

• Super
    Options

Yes both have data. How to configure APN on iPhones?

• Super
    Options

The instructions for iPhone don't offer any details. Both phones were checked for software updates available and nothing available.

• Super
    Options

Can I send a photo to someone to see if another Fizz phone can open it? I have a Fizz Google phone.

• Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,921 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Super

Can you test with your mom and daughter? Ask one of them to send you both a MMS first to see.

As mentioned, you can contact Fizz support for specific help.

• Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,921 ✭✭
    Options

Here are the instructions to configure APN on iPhones: It includes a youtube video

Installing network settings (iPhone) https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-fizz-network-settings-apn#4

1. Install the latest software update.

• Connect to a Wi-Fi network
    • Download the latest iOS software update

2. Update the carrier settings.

• Once the software update is done, your iPhone will offer a carrier settings update. Make sure you accept it.

• Super
    Options

I've done as the video suggests and the settings don't update. She was able to receive photos before. I find it odd that both my wife and my daughter have recently switched to fizz in the past 10 days and both are now unable to receive photos via text.....

• Super
    Options

And as there is no update required, the pop up for carrier update does not pop up as a prompt

• Super
    Options

So I've sent the same photo to my wife and daughter, both on fizz, plus included a friend sitting with my daughter. The friend is using an iPhone on Koodo. He can view the photo but both daughter and wife get message that the photo is too large to download.

There is obviously something wrong with the Fizz network.....

• Super
    Options

Wondering if the switch to fizz was wise at the moment. Frustrating....just spent an hour appealing to a chat person from Fizz.

I send a photo via text to 3 people...All three have iPhones two on Fizz, one on Koodo. Pic opens fine on Koodo phone but says too big to download on both Fizz iPhones. Both Fizz iPhones received texted photos over past days no issues and it's not a network issue?

Solution was to use WhatsApp or contact Apple iPhone support?

I could not encourage the chat person to have someone from. Fizz tech support to look at their Ottawa network as it surely appears to be a network issue.

• Super
    Options

I have two friends living in Kanata with Iphones. Just now sent them the same texted photo, again the Fizz phone won't open the image, the one on Bell network opens it without issue. What more can I do to convince Fizz that the problem is with their network?

• Super
    Options

I've yet to call Apple, however I'll wager their response will be that the issue is with the Fizz network. Despite the escalation to Fizz technical team members, and over 10 emails back and forth with different team members, nobody from Fizz ever addressed the question I asked over and over. Why can the photos be opened by friends using similar iPhone (or Android phones) on carriers other than Fizz? No issue sharing MMS photos with friends on Rogers, Bell or Telus, just Fizz. I'm still waiting for a response from Fizz on this issue.

I've converted many family members to switch to Fizz, I find that even when travelling across Canada, camping in Ontario, hiking out in Banff, the Fizz network coverage is much better than our experience with Telus for example. When my wife was carrying a Telus phone (prior to switching to Fizz) there were multiple times that my Fizz phone would have a network connection and Telus didn't. I can say that unless we were hiking deep in the boonies, my phone always worked and hers often didn't.

I am disappointed that during the many emails back and forth with Fizz, not one "tech person" asked me to send them a photo to see if their experience was similar. How do you troubleshoot a customer issue when you don't try and see what the customer is experiencing?

As I've said over and over, this is a new issue, never had the problem prior to a few days ago and the problem I'm experiencing is to those I've sent photos to who are using Iphone and in the Ottawa area on the Fizz network. I'd do my own troubleshooting if I knew someone in Ottawa using an Android (other than myself) on Fizz or if I knew someone outside of the Ottawa area using Iphone but I'd expect Fizz to offer that but their tech support team didn't.

Dave.

This discussion has been closed.