Other providers are offering a free SIM card

Options
Estebanseguin
Estebanseguin Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 2022 in My Mobile

Hi, I’d like to make a mobile account to go with my internet but I don’t want to pay 15$. Any way around that?

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,216 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello Estebanseguin.
    I hope you are doing well.

We are glad to hear that you would consider joining Fizz and I have to inform you, that in order to benefit from our mobile services, you need to use a Fizz SIM card. You can always order one online or buy one from a Couche-Tard store if you have one in your proximity, as Dapfizzer mentioned. Here is a map of the Couche-Tard stores that sells our SIM cards https://fizz.ca/en/couche-tard-sim. After you get yourself a SIM card, you can activate it yourself, by following this FAQ https://fizz.ca/en/faq/activate. Feel free to contact our customer service if you need further assistance with ordering or activating a new SIM card.

Cheers!
    -Sergiu

Answers

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭
    Options

@Estebanseguin

Hi Esteban,

in the past, there have often been promotions where the Fizz SIM card was offered free of charge at Couche-Tard retailers, but this is not currently the case. So if you want to use Fizz’s Mobility service, you will need to buy a SIM card at the current price at these same retailers or on the platform.

• Dapfizzer
    Dapfizzer Posts: 10,182 ✭✭
    Options

@Estebanseguin

Here’s how to order your very first Fizz SIM card:
    1. Go to the Fizz subscription page.
    2. Create an account by entering your name, email and password.
    3. Enter the number of SIM cards you wish to order (If you want multiple plans you can order more than one SIM — for example, for your spouse or your kids.)
    4. Enter your home/service address (this address must be within the Fizz coverage area).
    5. Add your delivery address (if different from your home/service address).
    6. Select your shipping method.
    7. Enter your payment information and click Submit.
    8. ... When you receive your SIM card, visit fizz.ca/activate to activate your sim card

*You can also order a SIM card when you buy a phone on fizz.ca. Just add it to your order.  

*Our SIM cards are now available in some Couche-Tard stores.

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-i-order-sim-card

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,788 ✭✭
    Options

Hi

Which providers are you referring to? Fizz does have a free SIM card promotion with the Couche Tard app, but it ended a few months ago that I know of.

The SIM card cost of $15+taxes is only a one time fee. If you plan to stay with Fizz, you have to look at the big picture. Will you save annually with Fizz compared with other providers?

Also do you have only 1 plan on your account? Fizz recently sent 2 x $25 discounts to internet plan subscribers to be used when you activate a mobile plan. Maybe you already have this $50 discount waiting in your account - https://zone.fizz.ca/dce/customer-ui-prod/#/loyalty;preserveFragment=true#perks

Alternatively if you activate a mobile plan on a new account, you can referral yourself. This will give you a $50 savings, $25 on each account. These savings will more than cover your out of pocket cost for the SIM card.

By the way, do know that the Fizz SIM card can be reused, unlike those of other providers. So if you unsubscribe to Fizz mobile, hang on to the SIM card or pass it along to someone who can use it.

• Estebanseguin
    Estebanseguin Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Options

I was referring to Fido. But I’ve had a SIM card offered to me every time I started a new line. If I have a SIM card from a different provider that’s no good right?

Thanks

• PF_Ref_D2U9A
    PF_Ref_D2U9A Posts: 5,788 ✭✭
    Options
  • kingTheod
    kingTheod Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Options

it used to be $4 !! and fizz sent me TWO sims

i got them in 2019.

pricing have skyrocked by then...including overall charges.

but their customer base dramatically grew as well in the meanwhile...

i agree $15 seems deterrent for new clients...looking at similar players which charge $4 only at Dollarama and got $20 coupon on purchase ... come on fizz!

• dov G.
    dov G. Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Options

Sorry to disappoint you but fizz sucks

you will be better off Switching to a different provider

• MtlSoul2k21
    MtlSoul2k21 Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Options
This discussion has been closed.