Texts don't work

Options
Blinkette
Blinkette Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 2022 in My Mobile

Hi ! I updated the phone of my mother in law from an old Alcatel to a samsung s8 that was mine and perfectly working and configured. I did a factory reset and proceeded to a transfer of her data into the newer phone. Everything is working perfectly except she can't SEND texts. She can receive them. I changed the message center phone number as mentioned in a previous discussion that was closed and didn't solve the issue. When sending a mms it says not supported by network. I can't manage to dial the *#*# number that was suggested. Thank you for your help again. I only see her a couple of time a week that's why it takes me time to try the suggested and be able to do a follow up. The previous discussion was closed before I had a chance to try any of the thing suggested.

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,193 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello Blinkette,
    I am sorry for the situation encountered,
     I am not sure that the plan that I have on file is your mother's however I will share with you a few troubleshooting steps you can try. 

The first thing you need to do, is verify in the account if for that plan, you have text messages included. If not, then that is the reason why she can't send texts.
    Some troubleshooting steps you can try is to restart the phone.
    Second, make sure that you are using the native messaging application of the phone. If it is not that one, then it might use data or WiFi instead of texts from your plan.
    Try to send to the number directly and not from the contact list.
    You can verify this FAQ for more details: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/i-cant-send-or-receive-text-messages

Also, try the troubleshooting steps our community members suggested.

If nothing works, please contact us in private in order to solve the issue.
    Thank you for your understanding!
    Have a great day!
    -Eugen

Answers

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,065 ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi @Blinkette

If you have problem with the MMS you must have a data plan and you need to configure the APN

• An Access Point Name (APN) has the network settings your phone needs to connect to Fizz.
    • The APN must be properly configured so your phone can be “introduced” to the Fizz network.
    • Once your APN is configured, you’ll have access to your mobile data and multimedia messaging (MMS).

Settings → Connections → Mobile networks → Access Point Names → APN

Fizz APN settings are:

• APN: mobile.bm
    • MMSC: http://mms.mobile.bm
    • MMS proxy: mmsproxy.mobile.bm
    • MMS port: 80
    • APN type: default,mms,supl     

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-fizz-network-settings-apn

• Clive_ref_code_73TF9
    Clive_ref_code_73TF9 Posts: 545 ✭✭
    Options

Hello @Blinkette, I have some additional suggestions/ideas:

• did you reset the phone to factory settings prior to the transfer and SIM install
    • did you reset the network settings to factory if not a whole phone reset
    • set the phone to send/receive only SMS and not MMS and then test
    • reset the OEM texting app to factory settings, clear the cache and/or saved data
    • reset the phone to factory settings, install the Fizz SIM and wait for the text from Fizz to configure the network settings
    • add another texting app like QKMS, Chomp, Textra or some other trusted texting app and test
    • you are right, it is a settings issue, check the network APN settings and the app settings

Hope these and those by others help resolve your issue.

This discussion has been closed.