What happened to my 4G service?

Options
DMCLAUGH
DMCLAUGH Posts: 1 ✭✭
edited March 2022 in My Mobile

I have had good 4G service in Ottawa since opening my account last year. Yesterday, my android phone suddenly lost all connection with cellular service, phone, MMS, data, all of it. Rebooted several times to no effect. Then a 3G connection appeared for a few minutes, then lost. This happened several times. Switched the sim card to my 2nd phone, which I know works - same issues. Tried an iPhone and got an LTE connection immediately??? I checked Fizz online and verified that there was no report of network issues. Now After leaving it overnight, this morning I got a good, solid 3G connection. After reviewing the settings, unchanged in any way and 4G selected as the preferred connection, still no 4G service. Checked online Fizz for network issues. Nothing reported. Checked the other phone again, same problem, 3G only. Now, it is 3:45 PM as I finish typing this. I give the phone a final check before hitting send . 4G is back!!! For how long is anybody's guess. I am relieved, but my question is, why were the network issues not reported online on the Fizz web page? Was it a network issue or an Android connectivity issue? I used to get this same crap with Bell who like to pretend nothing ever goes wrong with their service and it's annoying as hell.🤨

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,216 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello DMCLAUGH,

I am sorry to hear about this situation.
    Most likely the phone's network selection option was set by default on Automatic and the device selected a weaker network. 
    I recommend selecting the network manually if this will happen again. You should be able to have more than one Fizz network in yor area and one of them should offer a good connection.  
    You can also reach our suppport at any time if you will need further assistance, we are here 24/7 for you: https://fizz.ca/en/contact-us

Have a good one,
    -Alex

Answers

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @DMCLAUGH

Glad your service is back. Unfortunately, as you already noticed, the Fizz status page is NOT updated very often. It is unfortunately, NOT very dynamic.

The only way to often find out if there is any work in your area which can affect Cell or Internet reception is to contact Fizz customer service when it happens.

Fizz Customer service agents are only available online. Here we are all end users like you.

PS: For me the only combination that works for CHAT, is Firefox, in a private window, and only when in the French language..

Other means of contact

CHAT however is the quickest method.

• Clive_ref_code_73TF9
    Clive_ref_code_73TF9 Posts: 545 ✭✭
    Options

Hello @DMCLAUGH, based on my experience, reception and strength in Ottawa can vary. I've experienced dropped calls and slow data speeds when I have a weak signal on 4G/LTE. Some suggestions below to consider:

• was your phone showing Fizz EXT
    • were you in an area you would normally have good reception
    • is your phone set to automatically search and connect to networks or manually select Fizz
    • is your phone set to roam with data on when roaming
    • is your phone set to factory network settings or does it have the APN settings
This discussion has been closed.