SMS/phone calls when roaming in the US

Options
Zesheng
Zesheng Posts: 4 ✭✭

Hello,

I was recently in the US when I added 10$ to my "Wallet". However when I'm there, while Data roaming works fine and gets billed to my Wallet properly. However, I cannot send SMS or call people (I can receive calls, some instantly disconnect (1 local) while others connect (2x from Canada).

Anybody knows the solution to this?

Thanks

Answers

• MyriamC
    MyriamC Posts: 920 ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options

If you’re outside your coverage zone and are having difficulty accessing your mobile data, go to:

I’m travelling (roaming) and unable to use my mobile data 

Note: Additional fees may apply when you use your mobile device outside your usual coverage area.

See: I’m travelling outside Canada. What are my roaming options? 

When you are traveling outside your usual coverage area and using your mobile device, you must connect to an available local mobile network that is compatible with your phone.

Troubleshooting:
    Is your wallet empty?
    1. If your wallet is empty and you’re outside your coverage zone, you will not be able to make calls.
    2. When you are outside your coverage area and the wallet associated with your plan is empty, Pay As You Go will not be possible — therefore you will not be able to make or receive calls. You must add money to your wallet to enable Pay As You Go.
    Have you bought the right Travel Add-On?
    1. Make sure you have bought the right Travel Add-On.
    2. You need to purchase the Travel Add-On that corresponds to the zone you are travelling in. If the Travel Add-On you bought does not match the location you are currently in, you will not be able to make or receive calls, or access mobile data on partner networks outside the Fizz coverage area.
    Roaming and international calling
    1. Make sure that roaming and international calling are activated (in My Plans > Manage plan > Advanced parameters).
    2. These two options must be activated for you to use data, texts and voice while roaming.
    Restart your phone
    1. Reboot (power cycle) your device by holding down the device’s start button for 10 seconds.
    2. Following your reboot, your applications will load. Your device will then re-authenticate to the Fizz mobile network and potentially recover its authorization to access the network.
    Did your phone select the right network?
    1. Make sure your device has selected the mobile network you wish to roam on. 
    2. IMPORTANT: Before starting this process, verify that your SIM card is inserted in your device. Otherwise, the Mobile networks menu will not be visible.
    3. The process for choosing a mobile network can vary depending on your phone model. Here are two examples:
    4. AndroidSettings → Connections → Mobile networks → Network operators → Search networks → Choose your roaming network
    5. iPhoneSettings → Operators → Choose your roaming network 
    6. The frequency band used may vary from one service provider to another.

7. Your phone may not be able to connect to all available mobile networks.
    Did you dial the number correctly?
    1. Make sure you have correctly dialed the number and area code you wish to call.
    2. If you are trying to call a local number or a number outside your usual coverage area, make sure you have dialed the correct country and/or area code.

3. If you use pre-recorded speed dial in your device to call one of your contacts, some characters may be missing. 
    4. Calls made within Canada or the United States: 
    6.  DIRECT
    7. WITH DIRECTORY ASSISTANCE
    8. Local
    9. Area code - 7-digit number
    10.  Long distance (US & Canada)
    11. 1 - Area code - 7-digit number
    12. 0 - Area code - 7-digit number
    13. Other countries
    14. 011 - Country code - City code - Local number
    15. 01 - Country code - City code - Local number
    16. Emergency
    17. 911

19. Calls made from within another country (not Canada or the United States)
    21.  DIRECT
    22. WITH DIRECTORY ASSISTANCE
    23. Local
    24. Local number
    25.  Long distance (US & Canada)
    26. +1 - Area code - 7-digit number
    27.  Other countries
    28. 011 - Country code - City code - Local number
    29. 01 - Country code - City number - Local number
    30. Emergency
    31. 112
    34. Note: If you are traveling, you can also change the country code to '' + '' by holding 0 on your phone keypad.

35. By doing this, the appropriate country code will be automatically selected no matter where you are.

36. Example: (+) (Country Code) (Area Code) (Telephone Number)

37. If the issue you are experiencing is limited to receiving calls, ensure that no call forwarding or blocking is enabled in your phone.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,099 admin
    Options

Hello Zesheng,

I am sorry to hear about this situation.
    I recommend following the instructions MyriamC provided.
    You can also try to manually switch networks.
    If by any chance the issue persists please contact our support team. 

Have a lovely day,
    -Alex

• Zesheng
    Zesheng Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Options

When I have money in my Wallet, do I also need to have the Travel-Add on?

In my experience, Data works and I see that funds has been deducted from my wallet.

But I cannot send SMS.

I cannot dial out phone calls.

I cannot receive local calls (phone rings, but when I answer, it drops; happened one time out of one)

I can still receive calls from Canada (happened 2 times out of 2).

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Options

That is indeed strange. You should be able to make and receive calls / text messages as long as there is enough money in your wallet.

This discussion has been closed.