Getting Home Internet as an International Student

Options
zzxy
zzxy Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Internet

Hi. Does anyone know of a faster way to apply for home internet?

As an international, I'll have to get a credit card first and then apply (which usually takes a couple of weeks).

Also is there a way maybe the landlord can apply for me and then transfer it in my name or something?

Answers

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Options

Hi @zzxy

Welcome to Canada. Fizz is a prepaid service, so you prepay for each month.

They accept a few payment methods, and one of them is a prepaid credit card.

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-payment-methods-can-i-use

To pay for your Fizz plans, you can use:

Visa or Mastercard credit card

prepaid Visa or Mastercard credit cards such as Vanilla prepaid cards

Debit Mastercard or Visa Debit card

Something like a Vanilla prepaid credit card could work.

The issue with getting landlord to put it in thier name, is that the credit card, needs to have the same address associated to it, as your billing address.

The Vanilla Prepaid cards can be purchased at various places around the city, including Walmart. Yes there is a fee associated with activating them, but at least they can be used. And once you get another credit card, you can just change the method of payment (and use the rest of the prepaid card balance elsewhere) :)

For prepaid cards, you will have to register them, to include the billing address, to be the same as what you use on the Fizz account you create.

• Jess_i88b6
    Jess_i88b6 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭
    Options

You can have the first month paid with a prepaid credit card (vanilla), however, you need to add a canadian credit card for the second payment, since the prepaid credit card don't allow recurrent payments

And remember to use a referral code, and yes you can use mine after the _ in my alias or you can pick one here https://forum.fizz.ca/en/discussion/2198337/this-is-the-place-for-your-referral-codes-here-and-only-here

• Gablav91
    Gablav91 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭
    Options

Welcome/Bienvenue in/au Canada!

• Andrei_ref_R7VK1
    Andrei_ref_R7VK1 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭
    Options

This post is from 2021 and should be closed @Whizz.

This discussion has been closed.