Internet speed lower than account plan by a lot

Options
Ray_Brossard
Ray_Brossard Posts: 3 ✭✭

Hello,

I have setup my internet a week ago and noticed the download speed is 28mbps+ (speedtest) vs my plan 60mbps.

The modem is installed in the basement and I was testing on the second floor (wifi signal still strong, 3 bars for either macbook or iphone). I will run a few more tests in the basement to confirm. But even consider the wifi signal diluted because of the distance, it is still a dramatical speed decrease.

Any advice?

Answers

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 20,727 ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options

Hi @Ray_Brossard

You can try to repositionate your modem to see if you find a better spot, also changing the channel can help

I personnaly use my own router with the external antenna and I cover all my house.

• Emporium
    Emporium Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    Options

WiFi can depend on a lot of factors (adjacent devices, home layout, and even chipset compatibility in some cases).

If you have a device (laptop or PC) you can plug into the modem/router via cable, it would at least be able to distinguish if the problem is the internet speed, or just the WiFi speed.

Like mike mentioned above, I use my own router and access points, so I have the modem converted to Bridge mode (ie: acting as just a modem - with no routing/wifi features) myself. My house is quite old and the old plaster/mesh walls and some steel support beams I added after a reno, cause all sort of interference. I therefore have multiple Access points instead.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,106 admin
    Options

Hello Ray_Brossard 

I am sorry for the situation encountered.
    Please contact us in private in order to try a few manipulations and find a solution together. 
    Here you can find how to reach us https://fizz.ca/en/contact-us

I wish you a great day!
    -C.A.

• montyman77
    montyman77 Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Options

The 5GHz wifi network option provides faster speeds but has a shorter range. You can try switching between that and 2.4Ghz to see whichever works best for your house. The 2.4GHz channel can have more interference as some non-wifi electronics emit at that frequency.

The first thing to do is to do a speed test when plugged in to the modem with an ethernet cable to see what your best possible speed is. Then you can try the wifi next to the router to confirm speed there versus your upper floor. If the wifi speed near the modem is much lower than when plugged in it could be the channel as I said above or a defective router.

• Ray_Brossard
    Options

Thanks all for the comments. It turned out the speed on the ground floor (fizz wifi router in basement) is around 60mbps, 2nd floor suddenly drops to half less than 30mbps.

Any suggestion, how to boost 2nd floor wifi speed to better ones? should replace the fizz router with like ASUS router with more antenna or should I setup some boosters on the ground floor (if so, what model do you recommend)?

Thanks.

• Ray_Brossard
    Options

It seems that switch to 5G solved the speed issue, however, the signal strength is down from 3 bar to 2 bar (which is understandable because of the drop of wavelength). Anyone use booster? if the booster helps with the signal strength as well as maintain the speed?

This discussion has been closed.