Slow internet speed after upgrading my plan?

Options

I upgraded our home internet plan from 60-120mbps and once the changes were put in place, we went from solid steady download rates on our 2.4 and 5Ghz networks to around 2mbps on the 2.4Ghz network while the 5Ghz network was totally fine. Someone please help, this problem is ongoing and we have a member of the household who works from home on that specific network and I need it to work!

Answers

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 20,731 ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Options

HI @Matthew B. #13276

This can be a coincidence, did you try connecting directly to your modem with a network cable?

Did you try to reboot the modem?

It can also that the signal is weak or a interferences

Try to disable the band steering this can help

This change can also be applied through the Wi-Fi modem user interface:

1. Log in at: 192.168.0.1 from the web browser of any device.

2. Log in using the following information:

Username: cusadmin

Password: xxxxxxxx (Password you chose during initial setup)

3. Go to the next section to apply changes:

Wireless → General Settings → 5GHz → Band Steering (Disable)

Also try to change channel

A series of channels are available on each frequency (2.4 and 5 GHz) of your Wi-Fi modem. Interference can have an impact on these channels.

Manually changing the channels used for your Wi-Fi connection can improve your modem’s signal.

Wireless → General Settings → 5 GHz → Wireless channel

And also for the 2,4Ghz

Wireless → General Settings → 2.4 GHz → Wireless channel

Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-wi-fi-network-cutting-how-do-i-fix-it

You can also contact customer support by chat

1- Click on this link: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/none-my-devices-can-access-internet-wi-fi-or-using-cable-how-do-i-fix-it

2- The green chat bubble with the ? should appear after a few seconds in the bottom right corner.

3- Click on it, and select chat if available, or any other option

• Matthew B. #13276
    Matthew B. #13276 Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

Nope, don't have one. I tested it with multiple devices including legacy devices such as a PS3 all the way up to my custom built gaming PC. All the speed tests I run always come back around the exact same 2mbps download speed and it has been consistent for the last 2 weeks.

• Mike
    Mike Posts: 20,731 ✭✭
    Options

If you already try to modify your wifi channel, contact the support they can test your line signal remotely.

• Matthew B. #13276
    Matthew B. #13276 Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Options

Yeah that's my next option. It's extremely suspect that it was almost to the day when the upgrade was implemented that the 2.4 network randomly just decided it didn't want to live anymore.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,109 admin
    Options

Hello Matthew B. #13276 

I am sorry for the situation encountered.
    I have verified your account and see that you've managed to contact un in private, and one of my colleagues helped you further.
    If you have other questions, here you can find how to contact us: https://fizz.ca/en/contact-us
    Thank you for your patience, have a wonderful day!
    -Adelina

This discussion has been closed.