Is it true that Fizz is not an authorized dealer for Samsung phones?

SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 12 ✭✭

Samsung tech support just told me this.

Answers

• SuperDave

Samsung says that means there's no warranty on the phones.

• SuperDave

The Fizz website says that they provide a six month warranty on phones and that there is a 12 month warranty from the manufacturer.

• SuperDave

In fact, the six months is only on used phones. They say that: "Since Fizz does not manufacture its own mobile devices, the only warranty offered on new phones is the 12-month manufacturer warranty. "

But, the manufacturer says there's no warranty because Fizz is not an authorized dealer.

Ever hear of a "Legal Warranty" in the province of Quebec?

• SuperDave

I'm escalating this with Samsung. I will definitely be following my Legal Warranty rights on this.

• SuperDave

I think it would be a good idea for Fizz to get involved in this also. They can't sell phones that have no warranty. It's not legal in Quebec.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,786 admin

Hello SuperDave,

Apologies for the unpleasant situation.

The warranty claim with the manufacturer is offered only for the Apple products which are bough New, not Preloved as indicated here: 

https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-warranty-details-phone-bought-fizz

For your device, this will have to be handled through your Fizz account. Also, I have escalated the situation towards my superiors regarding the reselling authorization to have the situation verified by them.

Have a good day.

Catalin D. 

• SuperDave
    edited July 2021

Thanks, Catalin D.

The problem is that the latest software update has disabled BlueTooth on my phone. I did buy it new (a Samsung A71 back in April). I've been through all the steps of trying to fix this, including a factory reset. At this point, Samsung tells me that it needs to be repaired but that I should pay for it myself even though I've had the phone only a few months.

When I try to handle this through my Fizz account, it forces me to choose from a list of reasons for the warranty claim - but BlueTooth not working isn't one of them.

How should I claim this through my account?

• ClientCG
    ClientCG Posts: 119 ✭✭

It seems like Fizz will help you directly on this on, wishing you a quick resolution :)

For your information, the legal warranty in Québec has no specific limit, the law just says that the product needs to work for a reasonable amount of time considering the price paid. For ex., a judge can decide its reasonable than a charger purchased at the dollar store for 2 bucks works for a couple of months, but one purchased for 50$ at BestBuy can be expected to work for more longer than that for the same use (maybe 18, 24 months? it depends).

Also, both the manufacturer (ex. Samsung) and the seller (ex. Fizz or BestBuy) are responsible to honor the legal warranty in Québec.

Check this link for all the useful details: https://educaloi.qc.ca/en/capsules/the-legal-warranty-automatic-protection-for-consumers/

• SuperDave

Thanks, ClientCG.

Many people are not familiar with the Legal Warranty protections - I guess because it seems to be specific to Quebec. I used to live in Ontario and they don't have the same protections.

I understand that although there's no specific limit, there are categories of what is considered reasonable. I'm pretty sure that a brand new cellphone costing hundreds of dollars will be required to function properly for more than 3 months.

Anyway, I don't think that Fizz is trying to get out of any obligations here, and Samsung also is apparently escalating. It's a pain for me that they aren't yet clear on who is responsible in the end. Also, obviously it's a pain that my phone doesn't work properly!

• SuperDave

As far as what is a reasonable timeline for the Legal Warranty on a new phone, I think Fizz has established on their own website that 12 months is the reasonable period of time...

• SuperDave

It looks like Samsung is agreeing to fix my phone under warranty, so I assume that they are recognizing Fizz as an authorized dealer. Maybe that's because Videotron is?

This discussion has been closed.