My Wifi network keeps cutting out. I tried the steps in FAQ without success. What should I do next?

MuteDave
MuteDave Posts: 1 ✭✭

My Wifi Network keeps cutting out. Sometimes, no connection is detected and sometimes network is detected but it has no internet connection.

I have minimal sources of interference.

I've tried restarting modem.

I have 60Mbps Internet plan. I live alone and use it for phone, netflix and gaming.

I've tested each two frequency bands with the app. When Wifi is working, tests are good but when it cuts out, no tests can be completed.

All devices work fine using other networks. Mine just cuts out every few minutes.

I've resetted my wifi modem to its factory settings. Wifi still cuts out every few minutes and stays cut out for a few minutes every time.

I've tried all the steps found in the FAQ's. In it's current state, Wifi is not viable. I can't use it for gaming, streaming or on my cellphone. The modem seems to be the problem. It hasn't worked for more than a few minutes before cutting out for more than a week now. What should I do to fix it? Should someone come examine it?

-Dave

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,805 admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @MuteDave,

Thank you for your reaching out to us with this unpleasant situation.

I've verified the case on your account and I can see that following some manipulations provided to you by a colleague and the placement of a service call, a technician's appointment was scheduled for the 3rd of May, tomorrow, between 07:30 AM - 12:00 PM.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Have a good one!

Andrei

Answers

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭

If you refer to all the tips in the page https://fizz.ca/en/faq/my-wi-fi-network-cutting-how-do-i-fix-it then you did most of what is usually required.

You could try disabling band steering as described at https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-wi-fi-technologies-used-fizz#2

You could try a wired solution with an ethernet cable to see if its the modem (or anything beyond starting with the coax cable for instance), and not the wifi.

You could chat with Fizz to see if there is trouble/maintenance in your area, or if your modem is not running in its optimal capacities. They have historical values too.

It's sad to say but many clients fixed their wifi issue with their own router.

• vanigh
    vanigh Posts: 328 ✭✭

If you have tried everything and WiFi still keeps on disconnecting, a lot of us fixed this issue by getting a good quality router.

You can find a used good quality router on the internet, place it close to your wireless devices.

for gaming it's best to connect your device by RJ45 directly from the router, (hard wire it)

Fizz's wifi part of modem does have some issues.

• AdilDSX
    AdilDSX Posts: 1 ✭✭

I was having the same problem. My iPhones would stop connecting to the wifi, while one other computer would remain connected. Wired connection was stable all the time. My wifi was not usable either.

I did the following to get my wifi to a usable state (without having to buy a new fancy router)

• disabled wifi steering separated my 2 bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) as described here: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-wi-fi-technologies-used-fizz#2 (password would be your current wifi password)
    • sometimes, just to keep things fresh, I still unplug it for 30 seconds, then replug it. (Why I should have to do that when they are sending us a (presumably) good quality modem/router is beyond me, but it is what it is)

My troubleshooting solution for what worked for me.

Best of luck my friend, hope you have a smooth internet experience!

This discussion has been closed.