Living Outside of Regular Network

MARoy
MARoy Posts: 2 ✭✭

On January 3rd, I left Montreal and moved permanently to a small community of the James Bay region of Northern Quebec.

When preparing my move, in late December 2020, talking with FIZZ, I understood that after 3 month living at my new address, my mobile phone would stop working (with FIZZ SIM Card), partner network no longer considering me a tourist and kicking me out.

On March 16, I received an email from ticket@fizz.ca titled : Abnormally high usage of partner networks. This, made total sense and was exactly what I had been prepared to and was expecting for my phone connection to die in the following hours/days.

Well into my 4th month now at my new location, my mobile phone (still FIZZ SIM Card) continues to be working perfectly and the partner network hasn't shut me down. Can I hope for this situation to remain like that? I want nothing more than to remain a FIZZ client, even though I now live in a remote area..

Best Answers

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I guess only long term users could provide a hint of an answer as we do not work for Fizz, or maybe they'd prefer to stay under the radar 😉

The FAQ refers to a right to interrupt the service, and not a systematic block.

We reserve the right to interrupt or block access to our network of partner providers Fizz EXT if you use your mobile service primarily on their networks for 3 consecutive payment cycles. Source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/partner-networks

All this is hypothetical. Maybe there will be other warnings. Maybe there is a grace period of a few billing cycles? I guess the moment Fizz goes beyond a deficit threshold for the expanded coverage zone usage (at a large scale), then they'll restrict that grace period.

Now the real question is: are the 1 pound mosquitos out already?

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

It's Fizz discretion. Their contract stipulates that they can block access to the partner network after three months. Note: Only access to the partner network will be blocked. Your plan will not be deactivated. You are still able to pay for a roaming package for example.

It always depends on how much you use the partner network. If you stay most of the time within wifi and use the partner network only lightly, then Fizz will probably not make a big deal out of it. If you use it heavily, then they might restrict.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 18,801 admin
    Answer ✓

Hello MARoy,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Since you did not receive any other notification regarding the usage, it signifes that most of your usage was done on the Fizz network, and not the on the network of our partners. 

Regarding your question, we can not guarantee that we will not block your access, as everything depends on the network your phone connects to. 

I am very glad to hear that you enjoy our services and want to remain our customer. 

Thank you for your understanding and I hope you'll have a nice day.
    - Cecilia

Answers

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭

I think only the Whizz can answer that. I Will follow to see the answer he can be nice to know.

This discussion has been closed.