Sluggish downlink

Options
Jerome G. 52682
Jerome G. 52682 Posts: 7 ✭✭

Internet is so slow that its not useable. Problems since saturday April 17. Monday was able to load a speedtest page. I got 0.1 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload, from a computer connected with an ethernet cable.

Anyone else ?

Please fix !

Best Answer

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,154 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello Jerome G. 52682,

I am sorry to hear about this situation.
    I can see that you already contacted our support team. 
    Please follow the instruction they provided. 
    If by any chance the issue persists don't hesitate to reach them again. 

Have a good one,
    -Alex

Answers

• Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,921 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Jerome G.,

Please unplug the Fizz modem from the wall outlet for a few minutes. Also check that the coaxial cable from the coaxial outlet is well screwed in at both ends. Then restart your modem and try a speedtest using a device connected to the modem by ethernet cable.

If the problem continues, you can try factory reset of the modem by pressing and holding down the small button behind the modem for at least 10 seconds with a sharp object like paper clip.

If there is no improvement, you can contact customer support by chat:

1. Connect to your Fizz account by clicking « Login » in the top right corner at fizz.ca
    2. Any ad blockers in your browser should be disabled.
    3. Open a Fizz help page like this one: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/i-connected-my-device-using-network-cable-my-internet-connection-slow-how-do-i-fix-it
    4. The green chat bubble should appear after a few seconds in the bottom right corner.
  • Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Options

Hello @Jerome G. 52682

please specify if you are using Fizz' modem as a bridge or also as a router.

In the meantime, here are some troubleshooting tips:

• unplug the coaxial cable from the coaxial outlet and the modem respectively, wait for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in the outlet first and then in the modem, then restart it
    • If you have another coaxial cable than the one that you already use, it would be very useful to test with it.
    • try with only one device, disconnect the others (laptop, mobile, IoT) . They might be downloading heavily without your knowledge.
    • Chat with Fizz, since they can
      • verify if there is an incident or maintenance work carried out in your area affecting services.
      • check your account status
      • check your modem status if it works within optimal parameters, if its signals are within functioning ranges and also its history (like recent signal fluctuations). They can check for package loss or broadcast congestion.

Other tips at the following pages:

• Jerome G. 52682
    Options

bridge

• Jerome G. 52682
    Options

did try everything reboot, router, modem, ....

Where is the fizz chat bubble I can never get it !

• Idefizz
    Options

To chat:

1. Go to a FAQ page e.g. https://fizz.ca/en/faq/status-services
    2. Look bottom right for the big ❔ question mark in a green bubble.
    3. Click it, options will be displayed
    4. Choose "Chat"
    5. Note: the bubble will only display the chat for a computer version. If you are on a cell phone, you must check "Desktop site" in your browser settings.
    6. Submit your question with possibly a relevant screenshot or modem photo 
    7. After that will be displayed the number of customers preceding you, to manage your expectations. Updated real time.

ALTERNATIVELY, try leaving a message on Facebook Messenger (https://www.facebook.com/fizzca), iMessage or Twitter private. The advantages of their tool are the management of waiting times and the ability to print (e.g. PDF) a copy of the conversation for your records. Sometimes you can even leave a comment about your satisfaction with the conversation.

• Idefizz
    Options

To make sure the problem does not come from your own router (hardware failures or configuration issues can happen):

• either take it out of the equation by temporarily adopting Fizz' modem as a router, and to the same tests
    • or diagnose your own router hoping it has logs to help you with. One tip: people often forget they can apply firmware upgrades; maybe one is available for yours.
  • Jerome G. 52682
    Options

Well as always, they ask to factory reset to fizz box. third time for me. It seems the bridge mode is not that supported after all. It crashes once in a while and when it does even a modem and router reboot won't do it. I might have to move away from FIZZ. Oh well.

• Idefizz
    Options

I do not remember the last time bridge mode was the culprit in a Fizz setup. Usually it's the other way around, the WIFI not being strong enough or having weird configurations like band steering.

Did Fizz check its status if it works within optimal parameters?

Did you try their WIFI, even just for a test? Or maybe a friend's router? Years ago my personal router was dying when I thought it was the modem. Had to reboot both a few times a day until I got fed up and bought a new router. It wasn't showing any anomaly, not in logs, not in lights. Replacing it was the key.

Make sure you check all tips & links we provided to avoid leaving Fizz for a simple thing like a bad coax cable.

• Jerome G. 52682
    Options

The thing is that this is the third time nothing in the router logs, rebooting / resetting the router does nothing. rebooting the fizz modem does not help either, but each time a factory reset of the modem does it. It is just a pain to reconfigure everything twice each time. Fizz's official 'help' is 'factory reset the modem". This does not allow determining for sure if its the router or the modem. IMO, it points more towards the modem. This same router was further fine on the same cable line last year with tek savvy. The only difference in the setup is the router and now three crashes in a year.... "Avoid leaving FIZZ", well if the QOS is not comparable to third parties renting the lines, I'm going back.

• Idefizz
    Options

Fizz's official 'help' is 'factory reset the modem". This does not allow determining for sure if its the router or the modem.

You are right @Jerome G. 52682 , but there is another way. Again, take your router out of the equation but just temporarily by adopting Fizz' modem also as a router, and to the same tests just before and once after. That way you will know if its the modem or the router.

Any hardware is meant to have a failure in its life. It's just a matter of time: if a replacement by a more attractive model happens before its death then we consider the current model was a "good" one. My dead router was very fine until it progressively wasn't.

As for Fizz' modem, a friend of mine had one and had it replaced. So it's possible.

well if the QOS is not comparable to third parties renting the lines, I'm going back

That is your prerogative and I fully respect that. Keep in mind we chose Fizz because of its fees, and that has a price: no hotline or physical counter, minimal CS, data gifting. I believe someone in this forum said this business model was but only seen in Alberta. And the beauty of this is there is no long term tie to Fizz (a part from the 12-month engagement financing some phones).

• Jerome G. 52682
    Options

No, this will just say the modem is working fine by itself in 'normal' mode. It won't tell if the modem has a long term problem in bridge mode

• Idefizz
    Options

Well I believe that if you get the 0.1Mbps while your router is not part of the setup, it cannot be anything else than the Fizz modem (or beyond like the coax cable, power fluctuation, neighborhood issue, ...).

If you get the expected speeds, then it is past the modem and it points either on your router or its configuration.

I admit it would be a long term test if the problem occurs rarely, but a cheap and relatively easy one. It depends if you are willing to try further or already decided to leave (which is still understandable btw). Let us know if you ever stay and found out the real problem. I'm curious about the outcome.

• Jerome G. 52682
    Options

Sure, if the problem do persist then its it surely not my router but if it does not, then its is somewhere between the router and the modem and we have no clue to conclude either way. Hints are to the effect that the modem goes into a strange mode but we can't be sure.

the thing with using only the fizz box for a while is that I can't accept the security risks that come with that.

This discussion has been closed.