No data in fizz.ext

Options
Philippe L. 84319
Philippe L. 84319 Posts: 11 ✭✭

I wanted to follow-up on my discussion here:

But I see it has been closed. I often travel to this area and absolutely need data on our phones in this (Cornwall, ON) area this summer.

Best Answer

Answers

• Fizzy
    Fizzy Posts: 10,897 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Philippe,

Whizz has given some good advice. You need to enable data roaming and you need to have the Canada Plan.

In this guide you will find the detailed informations: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/i-m-outside-my-coverage-zone-and-my-mobile-data-isn-t-working-why

At the time, what steps have your tried?

Have you tried restarting your phone?

Can you check if the network operator is in automatic?

If you have phone service, but not mobile data, please make sure your phone’s APN has been correctly configured: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/how-do-i-use-my-phone-to-access-the-internet#8

• Philippe L. 84319
    Options

Roaming is enabled and I do have a Canada plan.

I rebooted the phone, switched data off/on and cehcked all my APN settings. Network is automatic.

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Options

But Cornwall IS in a coverage zone.

Maybe it is because he is travelling often in the coverage zone , thus using more than allowed in a FIZZ-EXT zone ?

The majority of your usage (calls, texts and data) must be done on the Fizz network (Subscription area).

source: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/partner-networks

I understand the searching for a given signal but he seemed to have tried that in the other discussion.

I'd chat with Fizz to get a clearer rule on that.

• Fizzy
    Options

You can also try manually selecting another network.

However as mentioned by Idefizz, if the majority of your usage for the last 3 months was done while roaming, then Fizz can restrict your usage of Fizz-EXT.

If this issue persists, you can contact Fizz support for more info regarding your situation.

• Philippe L. 84319
    edited April 2021
    Options

The majority of my usage has been in Ottawa which is at my residence. When I travel to Cornwall, it is for very short periods of time but I do need data while I'm there.

• Fizzy
    Options

When you are in Cornwall, check whether you are having an issue with texting only , mobile data only or both services.

Here are some possibilities:

• What phone are you using? It is possible your phone may not support all the frequencies used by Fizz roaming partners.
    • Try putting your phone in airplane mode for 15 seconds.
    • Try manually selecting another network.
    • Double check your APN settings. It has happened to others where mobile data will work locally, but not while roaming. Logon your Fizz account to resend the APN if needed: https://fizz.ca/en/faq/what-are-fizz-network-settings-apn#2
  • Philippe L. 84319
    Options

I checked data and phone service but not text. I had phone but zero data.

With regards to fizz roaming partners, I used to live in Cornwall and had Rogers with the same phone I have now so there's not question the roaming partners support my phone.

As mentioned previously, I did all the tests and settings you mentioned.

• Fizzy
    Options

In this case, since you did all the tests, I suspect that you need to adjust the APN.

Since calls work but not mobile data, you can also try changing your network mode to 3G to test for mobile data.

• Philippe L. 84319
    Options

In what way would I adjust the APN? Also, you mentioned I could manually change networks, I couldn't find how to do that (Android, google Pixel). Since I'm not in Cornwall right now it would be handy to be able to test this since once I go there, I won't have data to report and troubleshoot when I'm there.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,101 admin
    Options

Hello Philippe L. 84319,

You can manually switch networks from Settings > Networks & internet > Mobile Networks > Advanced > turn Off atumatic network selection > choose Fizz.Ext from list.
    Hope this helps.

Have a good one,
    Alex

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Options

I suspect it something with the APN settings as well. Fizzy and Whizz provided helpful information. I hope you can get it sorted.

• Philippe L. 84319
    Options

I checked the APN settings already.

• Philippe L. 84319
    Options

Oddly, when I remove the phone from automatic selection, I see 2 x Fizz and 4 x Fiz EXT.

I selected the first and got "couldn't connect". Second once allowed me onto the network and sure enough, I have data. So given Fizz is much less expensive and I'm very technical; I'm fine with having to manually switch. whether this is going to be consistent for me who knows. More importantly, I have no way of identifying these EXT networks because they're all listed as "Fizz EXT". I'll hope they stay in the same order so I know the second (technically third one in the list) works but that's getting kind of sketchy. There doesn't seem to be a way to edit this list since it seems to be a discovery thing much like wifi networks. Anyway, perhaps this discussion could continue long enough to figure out all this...

• Fizzy
    Options

Philippe

It's great that you got it work, you are making progress.

Based on your findings, it looks like your phone may not be compatible with available frequencies of all Fizz partner networks.

If this is the case, you may have to use this workaround until you switch phone.

On some phone models, you can see more details of the network (besides just seeing Fizz-Ext) and you may even be able to forget or block specific networks if those are not working with your phone. Which phone are you using?

• Philippe L. 84319
    Options

That doesn't make good sense to me since I'm referring to a network that I used to have before switching to Fizz and I still have the same phone.

I have a Pixel 2 XL.

I don't see more than just the name of the network.

For the record, I switched networks while I am at home and got data. Doesn't mean I will when I'm in the other city (Cornwall)

I think the issue here is that the phone is automatically selecting the second fizz.ext network in the list which isn't working.

• Fizzy
    Options

Philippe L., you're right. The Pixel 2 XL should work well.

If you want to perform some tests to find out more, you can try swapping your SIM card with another phone. If there is an issue with your phone, you can encounter the same issue testing with other SIM cards. If there is an issue with the service, the issue will follow the SIM card on different devices.

Here's an article you may find interesting: https://thedroidguy.com/how-to-fix-a-google-pixel-2-with-poor-or-no-cellular-signal-troubleshooting-guide-1087616

You can also contact Fizz support to help troubleshoot this issue further: https://fizz.ca/en/contact-us

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    Options

The Pixel 2 XL support the Fizz network without problem so its not an incompatibility problem. So its the service or the phone.

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Options

You can manually select the network, even when you are in EXT and your data doesn’t work. So the same you did now, you can do in Cornwall only with the Fizz-EXT.

This discussion has been closed.