Speed slowed down in the last month

Options
Phil_m
Phil_m Posts: 1 ✭✭

Hey, I'm on the 60mbps plan and noticed a significant drop in performance in the last month. If I have an upload or download going, everything slows downs and stalls. It definetly did not used to be like that and I wonder if the recent videotron bug has anything to do with it because it started slowing down ever since.

Of course I've reset modem etc... the internet is working, it's just not performing well at all. Speed tests vary, but even when they show full speed, they don't seem to work that well.

Is this a common issue ?

Best Answer

Answers

• bridge
    bridge Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Options

WIth COVID-19, a lot of people are working from home so speeds can be slower especially during peak periods. I noticed this in the beginning of COVID, but no so much now.

• Dgjf
    Dgjf Posts: 3,052 ✭✭
    Options

Do you test with Ethernet or WIFI ? Wifi can be impacted by your neighbour if they change theiir internet and get the same chanel you can loose performance.

You can use this to find a channel who is not so mutch used in yoour area : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_CA&gl=US

• Idefizz
    Idefizz Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Options

Good points byt @Dgjf !

Also the Band Steering↗️ setting seems nice at first but proved to cause troubles similar to yours for some users. Deactivate it like this↗️.

• StefanM
    StefanM Posts: 1,453 ✭✭
    Options

Do you use the modem Fizz provided? I have found that the modem that comes from Fizz (CODA) is not the most reliable. This brand of modem is notorious for causing troubles. I myself have purchased a separate router and only use the Fizz modem in bridge mode. Since then I am enjoying even more than the speeds I am paying for in my plan.

• Whizz
    Whizz Posts: 19,101 admin
    Options

Hello Phil_m,

I am sorry to hear about this situation.
    I can see that you contacted our support team regarding this and they suggested some manipulations. 
    If you still experience issues please continue the conversation there.

Have a lovely day,
    Alex 

This discussion has been closed.